Stopping driving

hannahd

Apr 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
We have had a terrible time with dad this weekend - my boyfriend and I saw him drive through a red light.... highlighting to me that the time had come to take matters out of his hands and stop him driving. I know it is exactly the right thing to do... but it's so hard.... to see my dad crying when I sat him down to talk about it was devestating... and a lot to handle for me (I am only 23)....
anyway the keys are now hidden so that's it... no more sleepless nights worrying about him driving.

Does anyone know if this will affect his DLA? I know currently they aren't entitled to Mobility Allowance but now dad will rely upon mum does that mean they will be entitled to something?

Thank you all in advance

Hannah

DMWalker

Aug 14, 2006
West Yorkshire
Hello Hannah,

Alzheimer's alone will not enable your dad to claim the mobility component of DLA but he should get the middle rate of the carers component.

If you haven't already made a claim I would do so as soon as possible. If you get middle rate care it also helps you get a reduction in Council Tax.

The Direct.gov web site is very informative.

My husband still drives, I know one day he will have to give up, he will be taking another driving assessment very soon, maybe that will show his driving ability is not what it should be, it is a big worry for me.

Keep in touch

Dee

zed

Jul 25, 2005
London
Hi Hannah

It's a tough one. But you have a duty to the DVLA that he has dementia, and it is more than likely he will revoke his licence.

My mum was furious when I did this. We got a letter saying she shouldn't drive while thye investigated, but she refused to stop, and her boyfriend kept giving her the keys. When they finally said her licence was permanently revoked, she finally stopped, and her boyfriend got rid of their car. She was really mad with me for a while as it was very upsetting to lose something she had had for so many years. But she was entitled to a free disabled travel card for public transport and a taxi card (when you apply for a taxi card get a doctor to say he would have difficultly using public transport for longer or unfamiliar journeys).

Now she is fine about it. I think she knew in her heart of hearts she should not be driving.

hannahd

Apr 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
Thank you

Thank you all for your advice. The DVLA are aware of dad's condition, but last time he managed to pass the assesment, the forms this time round say just to not return them if he doesn't intend on renewing so that's the plan....
.....the assesment wouldn't have been until April and to be honest I felt it was my duty to not let dad carry on until then. (because of the deteriation in his driving)...you hear so much about accidents being caused because of similar conditions.

Again thank you for the advice, I will take a look at all the links you suggested!

Hannah

zed

Jul 25, 2005
London
Hi Hannah

Sorry to jump to conclusions that you hadn't been in touch with the DVLA. It is great that he passed his assessment previously. It really sounds like you are doing the right thing.

When I declared mum's condition to the DVLA they took her licence away following a letter from her doctor, no possibility of assessment. But that was fine by me - she was a terrible driver even before the dementia!

sooty

Feb 17, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
zed said:
Hi Hannah

It's a tough one. But you have a duty to the DVLA that he has dementia, and it is more than likely he will revoke his licence.

My mum was furious when I did this. We got a letter saying she shouldn't drive while thye investigated, but she refused to stop, and her boyfriend kept giving her the keys. When they finally said her licence was permanently revoked, she finally stopped, and her boyfriend got rid of their car. She was really mad with me for a while as it was very upsetting to lose something she had had for so many years. But she was entitled to a free disabled travel card for public transport and a taxi card (when you apply for a taxi card get a doctor to say he would have difficultly using public transport for longer or unfamiliar journeys).

Now she is fine about it. I think she knew in her heart of hearts she should not be driving.
Hi
Can you tell me who to write to from Nova Scotia to tell them at the DVLA about my Mom. I did call them from here and they said they could do nothing. But perhaps I asked the wrong questions. I need a form to send to them to investigate her as she must stop. Last Friday she was out for hours and I found out she was sitting in a parking lot having forgotten her number to key in . Someone called a tow truck who get it going and just laughed at her prediciment. Carole

Helena

May 24, 2006
IMHE the DVLA are very very slow at dealing with stopping Dementia Drivers from driving

Also when my Mother who was 89 and had Vascular Dementia was sent the forms to complete by the DVLA you should have heard the fury

The forms are merely tick box style and of course she had a "good day " when she filled them in ............The DVLA only did something when furthur letters were sent in concerned about her ability ( she was a lousy driver anyway and had taken her test 14 times to even pass at age 52 )

It took the DVLA 3 months to tell her they were revoking her licence and boy you should have heard the tirade about that

I am afraid I think the entire system for assesing drivers later in life and with medical conditions is fatally flawed

If the DVLA did what Japan and New Zealand did things would be infinitely better

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi all,
I gave up driving when I knew things were not going at all right. I was worried about my state of health, but I was also terrified of knocking someone over or killing them. Even though I drove most days of the week and sometimes my job depended on it, I found I really did not want to risk someone else's life. I did not need to be told, to do it because to me it was obvious, To many it is totally different. Some time ago I spent time talking to some one who was admant that driving was his life and there was no way he was giving up. I think I was more stressed than he was in the end so I gave up. I really think it is time that the Doctors informed the DVLA as soon as the diagnoses is made, and take everyone else out of out it. That way the families do not have to be put through all this stress.
As a matter of intereset I had been driving or had been from 1968 through to 2003 when I saw the warning signs. It was very difficult to stop, but I knew that I had to, and there are times when I miss not being able to drive. But strangely there have been times when I have looked at a car and thought it was on the wrong side of the road(it was not). I have also tried to get into the drivers side of our car before I realised that I was supposed to get in the opposite side.
I realise that my brain does not always recognise right and wrong. That is Dementia.

Very Best wishes and I really hope it workes out for you.

Ken

Last edited: