Stopping donepezal

happybunny

Mar 28, 2013
Oh has just been diagnosed with mini seizures and the consultant has said that we must stop the donepezal as the 2 medications clash. ( I have confirmed this with the pharmacist) my dilemma is when he first started taking Donepezal I was told that he would have to take it all the time, because to stop it would mean that he would revert to the stage of Alzheimer's he would have been without the meds. Stumped as I really don't know what to do for the best. I have held off for nearly a week but started the new drug thus morning. I was wondering if anyone else is in this situation. :confused:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Please never stop a medication without consulting with your overall doctor first. If it is decided to stop it, it should best be phased out by giving a lower dose first. I can't tell you what stopping Donepezil would do. It might cause a sudden downturn, it might not. Donepezil can only ever slow down the disease, a best halt it for a while, but it's still a progressive disease. Is there no other medication for the seizures that would allow him to continue on the Donepezil?