Stopping Aricept. A daughter bristles.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Deborah - I am so sad for you on all sorts of levels. I don't have any words of wisdom - what you have posted just spoke to me and that's how I would have felt in your situation.

I suppose the think that struck me is that this doctor showed the arrogance that can be the hallmark of the profession and it's depressing to realise he goes around like that everyday. Actually, it reminded me a lot of some of the doctors I encountered when my son was younger and very ill - you are a helpless supplicant and they simply don't listen to you or assume you aren't telling the truth.

Sorry - just wanted you to know I know where you are coming from.

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
the consultant seemed to be one of the dying breed who has put himself on a pedestal, and is unwilling to take any notice of the observations and knowledge of those nearest and dearest.

Sadly not dying quickly enough!;)

Thanks for the update, Deborah. Though depressing for you, it does help to have the full story. As you say, this is becoming a regular problem on the forum.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannie G
the consultant seemed to be one of the dying breed who has put himself on a pedestal, and is unwilling to take any notice of the observations and knowledge of those nearest and dearest.
Stylvia
couldn't have put it better myself.
I don't think we should let them get away with their smug attitudes,this dying breed need to be reminded that are not God, and not superior to anyone else,they are only doing a job like the rest of us.
Norman

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Norman - you know what the difference is between God and a doctor?

God doesn't think he's a doctor.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
She told me I was a blessing the other day, and she really loved me. " You must have had a wonderful mother" she added. I assured her I still have a wonderful mother and gave her the biggest hug.

She told me I was a blessing the other day

you surly are (((( hugs)))) .

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
How come it is OK to stop treatments when someone lacks capacity, but not to re-instate them?

Absolutely Deborah ... there is no logic here (well not unless you finally get some conclusive reasons that medically the Aricept had to be stopped (even then there are quality of life and Mental Capacity issues which should have been discussed/explored) ... and don't be fobbed off with 'only' EPA ... when I took my mother's consultant to task last year the Chief Exec of hospital conceded that was a measure of the relationship, trust, consent etc that my mother had indicated between us and that relationship should have been taken into account before any decisions were made that my mother was unable to make for herself .... (even without LPA).....

Hard to know whether it's the withdrawal of Aricept that has caused the recent changes - or sheer coincidence? But what earthly harm would there be in trying to reinstate it?

I know when there was nothing else I could do for mum, I had to keep 'fighting' for her ... if that meant working hard to swipe a few of these self-professed 'Gods' off their pedestals and make them think again before they tried the 'same trick' with another patient and family .... if you're strong enough go for it .... but for you and your mum's sake ... and if it's better for you both that you leave it be ... then so be it. But continuing to 'bristle' will not help you - I think you have to decide very soon whether you fight it - or let it go and move on as best you can, and which way your energies are best used right now.

The update is appreciated, Deborah. I think it helps everyone to see outcomes of different situations.... even if it isn't the last word on the matter, and even if the outcome is not so good.

Take care, Karen, x