Stopping Alzheimers meds

RobbieO

Feb 16, 2015
Hello,
My Father is living in a nursing home. He has been diagnosed with Alzheimers with Parkinsons like symptoms for approx. 7 years. They stopped his Nimenda in June without telling us and had the nursing home calling the physician who stopped it stating he was having more behavioral problems. They started him back on it. I am told by the nurse practitioner that it was stopped because "studies have shown that it really does no good after 2 years". I am not able to find any of these "studies". I would like to have them in hand when I go to his next care team meeting. I am concerned that it was stopped in order to save money rather than for the best care for my Father.
Needing direction as to where to look in order to research.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Needing direction as to where to look in order to research."

I think when you wrote Nimenda you meant Namenda which is a trade name for Memantine.

If so start >>>HERE<<< and follow the links in the LH pane for Memantine.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As far as I can see Nimenda (I think it's actually spelt Namenda) is a brand name for the generic drug Memantine which comes up on here quite regularly, you might more response if people know that, you could also research under that name too.
It does seem to be generally thought that these drugs become less effective over time and that the long term effects on the body means there sometimes a good case for stopping them.
My wife stopped taking Aricept and I think she's a lot better for it, I haven't had the mop bucket out for weeks instead of every day like I was a couple of months ago she also seems more alert.
I'm not of the view that everything needs medicating I think too much faith is placed on everything needing a pill, I'm not saying medicines don't work just that they're maybe sometimes not all their cracked up to be.
K

kaycee30

Feb 4, 2015
Hi have a look at the NICE guidelines for the use of drugs with alzheimer's, hopefully this will answer some questions and give you some points/questions to ask when you next meet with the home or physician.
Hope this helps. x