Stop Sales & Marketing Calls - Register w/ TPS

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It won't. We have been registered for ages but we still get sales calls, either from overseas or those pretending to be a survey or that they have your permission from earlier contact.
You can complain if you have the phone number and company name but it's not of much use.
What you need is a system that either blocks or silences sales calls.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
We've been registered with them for years. It worked at first, but now we get 4-6 calls a day on average from 'International', 'Withheld' or 'Private Caller' numbers. I tried to re-register but was unable to as our number was already listed a being registered.

It drives us crazy. So we have caller display on our phone and simply don't answer the phone unless we recognise the number, or if it's one of the numbers in the phone's memory which identifies 'Dad', say. We reckon that if it's important the caller will leave a message, and we can always intercept the call while they are leaving a message, if we are home and realise that it's a genuine call.

Good luck, LS!

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
My friend gets these too, I registered her with TPS a long time ago and got rid of her answerphone. It helped a bit but has got worse again lately. Contacting VM they said they would 'do something re. a 'register' and after 2 weeks it should improve if not would have to pay £3 a month for 6 months long enough for callers to remove them from databases when they realise they can't get through:eek: Money making exercise it seems to me:(

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
What a cheek, Sue :(

I agree CG, she has not complained for a little while like she had so maybe whatever 'register' he put her on has helped but I am only aware of the TPS register which she was already on. Time will tell:)

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I registered us with TPS some years ago, it worked for ha while.
Then I got one of them call again, when I tried to report it the TPS wanted so many details that I just gave up
I too tried to re register with no joy
Now we get several scam calls a month

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Sadly I agree with the other comments, the TPS won't stop most of the calls. Reputable UK companies will stop calling but the scammers and calls from abroad will continue, I registered with the TPS and still got 3 calls yesterday. Now I work from home I've come to realise how many of these calls you actually get during the day and it is a complete pain.
K

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Unwanted trlessales calls

These sorts of calls really annoy me - so much so that I've installed an answering machine in my home and I never pick up the phone straight away just in case it's one of these blasted nuisance calls.

Friends and family know to leave a quick message and/or their telephone number for me to ring back. If I don't recognise the caller's phone number, ir it's from a withheld number, I simply delete the message and don't return the call.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
TrueCall Care

I have posted about TrueCall Care many times, but it seems appropriate to mention it again. I bought a unit for my mother's house. She used to be terrified of the phone ringing (the sound, not the intrusion). Her live-in carer might be sleeping during her much needed afternoon break and would be startled awake by a telepest.

The unit costs £100 VAT exempt from the Alzheimer's Society http://shop.alzheimers.org.uk/category/telephones-and-call-blockers (similar prices from other retailers such as AgeUK).

You can configure your caller lists to have trusted callers who get straight through; message screening for other calls that requires the caller to enter a code - this cuts out most automatically dialled calls; and blocking specific numbers or international numbers. You can monitor usage online and tweak your trusted and 'zap' lists.

You can even set it up so that ONLY trusted callers are allowed through. You could then set the screening message to say something like "Thank you for calling. We are not taking calls on this number. If you need to contact Mary, please phone her daughter Susan." This would mean that any caller NOT on the trusted list would get the screening message and no option to be connected.

At my mum's house the pester calls continue but they NEVER get connected. I just monitor them online and add any numbers to the zap list that I can identify as sales or survey numbers.

I can't tell you what a difference it makes to our sense of privacy and well-being. Nuisance calls can put you in a bad mood for hours, and the anticipation of being pestered makes you growl at any unfamiliar caller!
At my mum's house I answer with a light and friendly tone of voice because I know that the call will not be unwelcome.

When I go home to my own house I dread the phone ringing because 2 out of 3 calls is unwelcome and a waste of my time. Why don't I get a machine for myself? OH thinks it is an unnecessary extravagance. :(
In 2016 I will start to get my employment pension, i.e. MY money! A TrueCall Care machine is on my shopping list.

Last edited:

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Bummer. I was hoping it would work. They get so many nuisance calls every day, and it just adds to mum's workload. I think a lot of them are from overseas - India in particular. This confuses mum because her doctors and the guys in the pharmacy are all from either India or Pakistan, so she has to be careful not to tell people to **** off if she thinks it's a nuisance caller from India in case it isn't! Thankfully, they are used to her down at the surgery!

Thanks for explaining about Truecall Care, Katrine. I'll look into it, but I'm guessing that it'd require me to be living with them to configure the lists. I live abroad, and there is no way mum would be able to cope with it herself. She's terrified of technology.

LS

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
TrueCall Care

AFAIK online monitoring and administration can be done from anywhere in the world. You would need a competent person to physically plug the machine in to start with. It interfaces between the main phone and the incoming landline and requires a power socket. All the set up and adjusting of preferences is done online but I do recall going back and forth from the computer to the unit to press buttons on the day we installed it. The reason for this is that changes are only effective when the machine uploads to the TrueCall system database.

You can either press a button on the unit to force an upload, or wait for the next scheduled one. When you are setting it up you won't want to wait. I have our unit set to upload once in 24 hours, which it usually does in the wee small hours. Once it is set up you can make changes online and force an upload (if needed) via a special telephone call to the unit. I don't think your being overseas is an impediment to using this product for your parents. Contact the company for advice? https://www.truecall.co.uk/

BTW, as an international caller yourself you would probably set the machine to accept only those international calls where the correct code is entered by the caller. My brothers live outside the UK and they are the only people who have been given the 2-digit code that I chose.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
My friend gets these too, I registered her with TPS a long time ago and got rid of her answerphone. It helped a bit but has got worse again lately. Contacting VM they said they would 'do something re. a 'register' and after 2 weeks it should improve if not would have to pay £3 a month for 6 months long enough for callers to remove them from databases when they realise they can't get through:eek: Money making exercise it seems to me:(

I'm registered with TPS but took a call a couple of days ago from 'Telephone Preference Management' asking me if I was having trouble with nuisance calls.

I could hear call centre chatter in the background so took a punt and said "What, like this one?" and there was an awkward pause :D

He then started telling me I could stop these calls "for ever" and at this stage I hung up.

A quick google showed its a scam
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...alls-promising-protection-nuisance-calls.html

I'm afraid I've given up being polite to anyone who cold calls. In fact, I probably come across as quite aggressively rude in the hope that they'll cross me off their list :D:D

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
AFAIK online monitoring and administration can be done from anywhere in the world. You would need a competent person to physically plug the machine in to start with. It interfaces between the main phone and the incoming landline and requires a power socket. All the set up and adjusting of preferences is done online but I do recall going back and forth from the computer to the unit to press buttons on the day we installed it. The reason for this is that changes are only effective when the machine uploads to the TrueCall system database.

You can either press a button on the unit to force an upload, or wait for the next scheduled one. When you are setting it up you won't want to wait. I have our unit set to upload once in 24 hours, which it usually does in the wee small hours. Once it is set up you can make changes online and force an upload (if needed) via a special telephone call to the unit. I don't think your being overseas is an impediment to using this product for your parents. Contact the company for advice? https://www.truecall.co.uk/

BTW, as an international caller yourself you would probably set the machine to accept only those international calls where the correct code is entered by the caller. My brothers live outside the UK and they are the only people who have been given the 2-digit code that I chose.

Thanks for that information. I will check it out online and see what's involved. I'm not so good with IT stuff, but I'll do my best.

LS

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I'm registered with TPS but took a call a couple of days ago from 'Telephone Preference Management' asking me if I was having trouble with nuisance calls.

I could hear call centre chatter in the background so took a punt and said "What, like this one?" and there was an awkward pause :D

He then started telling me I could stop these calls "for ever" and at this stage I hung up.

A quick google showed its a scam
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...alls-promising-protection-nuisance-calls.html

I'm afraid I've given up being polite to anyone who cold calls. In fact, I probably come across as quite aggressively rude in the hope that they'll cross me off their list :D:D

Interesting link Chemmy, it is disgraceful really. VM said they would offer 6 month credit for the service and customer would be charged £3 a month:confused::eek::mad:. Thankfully I don't experience nuisance calls, I have always ticked the box not agreeing to share my details and on the only occasion I have had a call I was able to trace the culprit, a reputable organisation that I subscribe to who were very apologetic as it was an error in their system but it did get rectified thankfully.