Still standing - but with wobbly knees

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by sammyb, Dec 5, 2008.

1. sammyb

sammyb Registered User

Sep 19, 2007
    Nottingham
    Hallo everyone. I read here often but don't always feel able to write. On Christmas Day it will be 4 calendar months since my laddo died and it is a hard, hard journey without him. But I am still standing except I have wobbles at times. Early mornings and evenings are the worst times - and Sundays! I have kept very busy. Because I thought my laddo would eventually have to go into a care home I had saved for that purpose. That no longer being necessary I have spent the lot!! On good things. I have had the whole house re-decorated and re-carpeted and have filled three skips - all my rubbish I hasten to add. Laddo was very neat and tidy. It is me who is the clutter-bug. I am going to my brother's for Christmas along with my little dog and I will have to drive 300+ miles which I have never done before. So lots of first's but I decided that, if I didn't do things outside my comfort zone, my world would get smaller and smaller and I am determined for that not to happen.

Love to you all.

from Sammyb

2. lesmisralbles

lesmisralbles Account Closed

Nov 23, 2007
    Dear Sammyb

I read here often but don't always feel able to write.

I cannot do anymore than send you a big hug, you miss your laddo.
    I read your posts, I also cannot always reply. I find it difficult, to find the words.

Bless you.
    Barb & Ron XXX

3. christine_batch

christine_batch Registered User

Jul 31, 2007
    Buckinghamshire
    Dear Sammy,

Well done to you. I do hope you enjoy your time with your brother.

Very best wishes

4. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello Sammy

I`m sure you are doing the right thing, keeping yourself busy, trying to do all things positive.
    So far so good and the wobbles sound manageable.
    Four months is no time at all.
    Take care, and make the best you can of Christmas with your brother.
    Drive carefully.
    Love xx

5. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Dear Sammy

so good to hear from you.

Life must be very hard as it is still early days since you lost your dear Laddo.

How I admire your courage:
    He would be so proud of you. Christmas will be very different for you, but with your determination I am sure you will find something positive in sharing with your brother and his family.

Sending you love n'hugs.

6. sue38

sue38 Registered User

Mar 6, 2007
    Wigan, Lancs
    Hi Sammy,

Good to hear from you and how you're getting on. You seem to have a very positive attitude.

My dad would always advise his clients who had lost their partner, not to make any major decisions in the first year. Good advice I think.

Good for you. :)

7. twinone

twinone Registered User

May 19, 2008
    england
    Hi Sammy

Hope you enjoy xmas with your brother - it will be different but hopefully some good memories will be there for you as well.

Lots of love
    Janet

8. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Good to hear from you, Sammy!:)

I'm glad you're still standing -- and even beginning to spread your wings!:)

Christmas will be bitter-sweet for you, but your laddo will be with you in your heart.

Love,

9. gigi

gigi Registered User

Nov 16, 2007
    East Midlands
    Hello Sammy...it's good to hear from you...

And inspiring to hear your positive attitude....:)

Christmas will be a strange time for you....but laddo will always be with you,and it's good that you're not going be at home on your own.

I have to admire your spirit...:)

Wishing you well....

love gigi xx

10. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Yes it is really lovely to read how you’re coping. Having a positive attitude must be good for you in helping yourself move slowly forward without your laddo.

Must be hard mind you, I only say that from seeing my mother pain of missing my father after he pass away.

Wishing you all the best when you go to your brothers for Christmas xx

11. TinaT

TinaT Registered User

Sep 27, 2006
    Bolton
    Hi Sammy,

God bless your stength of spirit. You are an inspiration. I would advise one more purchase Sammy - a Sat Nav for the car. Since getting mine I have no worries about travelling down from tne North of England to Guildford to visit my son and his family. I drive fearlessly nowadays where I would have never driven before! They really are a boon and I think Help the Aged should get a job lot for us timid 'oldies' drivers.

xxTinaT

12. Margaret W

Margaret W Registered User

Apr 28, 2007
    North Derbyshire
    Dear Sammy

So wonderful to read your positive steps forward. I am worried, though, about you driving 300 miles. Can you stop off a travel-lodge for the night, making it 150 miles each day? Some are currently offering rooms for £15 a night. Think about it.

Love and best wishes

Margaret

13. Lanie

Lanie Registered User

Aug 31, 2008
    Surrey
    It's good that you are doing things outside your comfort zone. Life is for living and its important that we make the most of it.
    Have a good Christmas and try to enjoy yourself, although I'm sure it won't be an easy time for you.

300 miles is a long journey so take an overnight break if you can.

Take care

Lanie