Still Finding Things In Odd Places

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I can relate to your last sentence easily. I remember within mum's last year, talking to a member of her church, who hadnt realised that she had dementia. I think people can put on a good show when out and about, and casual conversation can make everything seem ok.
Yep. I can relate too. Dad is the same. Sometimes I think it’s me and I’m going mad..

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
The last time we went to the doctors
I wrote a note explaining why we were there and also explained mum magnificent ability to ‘ hostess’!
I suggested that rather than take my word the doctor satisfy themselves by testing mum.
One optional test was to ask her if she ever napped in the day?
( How many ninety year olds sit in a chair all day long and don’t nap?)
Mum excelled herself explaining she never napped , and I was rewarded with watching the doctors valiant effort not to smile!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes dad could hold a very entertaining conversation about his early life because he remembered every little detail about school, the war and his life at sea and these are the things he would talk about with his old friends. He was very funny as well so we were all entertained and the fact that he couldn't remember what he had eaten for breakfast or even that I was living with him was lost on them.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
he will go on, and on about lorries and deliveries. he was a lorry driver and i know every schedule. working out which grandchild is which is a whole new ball game. he also chats about what he used to do to prank his long suffering teachers. he lived in the country and he was born in 1948. it backfired one day when i was in the headmistresses office yet again with the oldest. he proudly announced that his dad locked teachers under the stage.when he tells the grandchildren i shut him up or if that doesnt work make a joke of it. he has a lot of stories of his escapades when he was young none are nice just pranks.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
The last time we went to the doctors
I wrote a note explaining why we were there and also explained mum magnificent ability to ‘ hostess’!
I suggested that rather than take my word the doctor satisfy themselves by testing mum.
One optional test was to ask her if she ever napped in the day?
( How many ninety year olds sit in a chair all day long and don’t nap?)
Mum excelled herself explaining she never napped , and I was rewarded with watching the doctors valiant effort not to smile!

Oh dear, I remember the conversation when I took dad for his pacemaker check last year.

Nurse, Hello Mr XXX and how are you
Dad, I'm very well thank you and how are you my dear, whispers to me, Why am here..
Me, whispering back, You're getting your pacemaker battery checked.
Dad, Have I got one.
Me , yes dad, you've had it for a long time..
Dad, Oh yes I remember, it's in my throat..
No dad, that's your stent.
Nurse, Well Mr XXXX are you receiving treatment for anything else.
Dad looking at me, Am I.

and so it went on, I think the nurse was quite entertained.

As we left dad asked if we could buy a plant for his front room while we there there.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Oh dear, I remember the conversation when I took dad for his pacemaker check last year.

Nurse, Hello Mr XXX and how are you
Dad, I'm very well thank you and how are you my dear, whispers to me, Why am here..
Me, whispering back, You're getting your pacemaker battery checked.
Dad, Have I got one.
Me , yes dad, you've had it for a long time..
Dad, Oh yes I remember, it's in my throat..
No dad, that's your stent.
Nurse, Well Mr XXXX are you receiving treatment for anything else.
Dad looking at me, Am I.

and so it went on, I think the nurse was quite entertained.

As we left dad asked if we could buy a plant for his front room while we there there.
What plant did he want a Hospidestra?
1601207884871.jpeg

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Haha @Weasell he would have loved that. He thought the hospital was the garden centre. I used to buy him plants but he wouldn't stop pruning them, the tallest leaf or flower had to come out because it looked odd which left the next tallest leaf or flower in it's place and you can guess the rest.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @Duggies-girl ,

I am trying to picture this but sadly I doing more clearing today and I found some old cards wishing mum well when she was ill. It was very sad finding these but I had to get rid of them as I don't want to be reminded of when mum and dad were ill.

MaNaAk

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dear @Duggies-girl ,

I am trying to picture this but sadly I doing more clearing today and I found some old cards wishing mum well when she was ill. It was very sad finding these but I had to get rid of them as I don't want to be reminded of when mum and dad were ill.

MaNaAk

I understand that @MaNaAk I am trying to get away from the illness but there are a lot of reminders.

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
Dear @Duggies-girl ,

MaNaAk
I'm the same; I got rid of the handwash the nurses had used, and anything associated with the final phase of in and out of hospital. I got a bit teary when I found the batteries of mum's hearing aid.Incidentally, I found out that I have raised blood pressure,so I am doing my best to keep calm. I hope to manage it without meds .

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
It was very therapeutic clearing and shredding today although it was obvious that dad was putting letters in drawers wherever he happened to be sitting!

MaNaAk