Still finding if difficult to come to terms with mum's illness

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I havent posted for a while. The title of my thread should really be changed since mum has deteriorated so much. Can I do this or should I continue on here? I'm just feeling dreadfully low watching mum like this. I'm sorry; I sound pathetic as so many of you are in just the same position. I wake full of dread, visit mum, come home and do what I have to but I feel I'm not me and I'm in a nightmare. Thanks for listening.
Hi @Jezzer, I have only just come across your post and just have to say how much it resonates with me. It was hard when I was looking after mum at home - but whatever the problem, at least I felt I was helping her, that I was doing or achieving something. Now, I'm accompanying her during a time of terrible anxiety, confusion and distress for her - but I don't seem to achieve anything other than holding her hand and nodding along, as it were. If only I could do more......but as you know, there comes a point when what we can do is very little. On the other hand, I couldn't leave her alone in this predicament, with no one to sit by her and fight her corner...
I'm sorry, I'm rambling :( Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and hope you feel better today.
Lindy xx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Hi @Jezzer, I have only just come across your post and just have to say how much it resonates with me. It was hard when I was looking after mum at home - but whatever the problem, at least I felt I was helping her, that I was doing or achieving something. Now, I'm accompanying her during a time of terrible anxiety, confusion and distress for her - but I don't seem to achieve anything other than holding her hand and nodding along, as it were. If only I could do more......but as you know, there comes a point when what we can do is very little. On the other hand, I couldn't leave her alone in this predicament, with no one to sit by her and fight her corner...
I'm sorry, I'm rambling :( Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and hope you feel better today.
Lindy xx
Hi @Lindy50 Thank you so very much for your message. You are not rambling at all! I don't know if this will come, but mum does not seem anxious or distressed - she's just sleeping and occasionally calling out. I am so sorry your poor mum is anxious, confused and distressed. This wretched, cruel disease. You are right, we can do so little now and it's heartbreaking to sit and watch our beloved mums in this state. I have felt a little better today, thank you, the days are never good are they but some are a little easier to bear than others. I don't know why. My thoughts are with you and your dear mum. Take care and Thanks again. Xxxx