Still articulate, but doesn't know me & rejects physical contact

Bedelia

Dec 15, 2011
I know many of you have posted similar queries and some have been experiencing much worse situations, but wonder if anyone has advice on my particular dilemma?

Mum is now in end stage; has been in care for just over 3 years, 2 1/2 in a residential unit and in the nursing unit of the same home since March. Between spring and summer, she went from being in a wheelchair and eating full meals to being mostly bedridden (tho now able to sit in a chair for a few hours per day) and existing mainly on fluids.

In August, she had not eaten solid food for about 4 months and on some days barely took any fluids either; she was too weak to get out of bed. She was put on a slow-release morphine patch and was hallucinating all day long (previously had paranoid symptoms, but not so much visual hallucination). At that time, I thought she had only a few more days and went to stay nearby (I live 100 miles away, and normally visit for the day at weekends) for a long weekend and later in the month for 10 days, spending all day every day (and one night) at mum's side. After which she surprisingly rallied and started to eat bits of food again. Not full meals and not every day, but maybe a bit of toast and banana in the morning, or a tiny egg sandwich for supper; otherwise still drinking fluids fairly well. I went back to visiting at weekends, as I could not stay in hotels indefinitely.

My issue is that although she is physically very frail, she is still verbally articulate (although she speaks sparingly) and more cognisant than others in her unit, who are mute and stare blankly. I am an only child and had always been very close to my mum. I have no partner or children, so mum is the only person who knew much of my own past, the whole of my childhood and the adult experiences and memories only she and I shared. My dad died in 1988, it's been just the two of us since then, and I was always the centre of mum's world (sometimes a bit too much, she could be rather possessive, particularly as the dementia progressed).

As she has never acknowledged her dementia, when she went into care I could not discuss it with her, so had to get her to accept her new surroundings and my limited visits by just appearing in the moment (i.e. not referring to our old home and the fact that it had to be sold etc) and leaving as discreetly as possible (without drawing attention to it or where I was going), otherwise she would be distressed.

Three years on, when I appear in her room on my weekly visits, she appears to accept me quite normally, as she did for many years when we were at home together, and will generally respond politely to chat (although I find it very hard to instigate conversation, as so much is taboo because it's either upsetting or means nothing to her). But if I try to say or do anything personal, it becomes apparent that she really doesn't know me in anything other than a superficial, visual recognition ("this is a woman I have seen before, who sometimes comes here").

I have realised that she has developed quite a sophisticated way of responding to anyone who visits, as if she knows them, but without committing herself to any details which reveal that in fact she doesn't. So I am no more to her now than any of the care workers (who have only known her in that unit for the last 6 months), and sometimes less, because they feed and wash her and are generally able to come in with a smile on their face, because there is no emotional hinterland to their relationship with her. Whereas, no matter how hard I try to be upbeat, inevitably I feel strained and she picks up on this. Sometimes I feel quite jealous if she says to one of the carers, "oh you're a lovely lady", although I am glad she likes them, because I can't help thinking that she prefers them to me.

She never asks about me now, and although she often has photos of me close to her on her bed table, she will be more fixated on them than on the real me, sitting beside her, when I am there.

She used to be a much more tactile and openly emotional person than me, but I have noticed over the last year or so that she keeps her hands close to her body and rarely lets me touch her - doesn't like me to hold her hand (although she did once or twice in August, when I thought she was on the brink and had some rare "lucid" moments). I know people say a person with dementia can still appreciate touch, but last week, when I tried to kiss her goodbye, she recoiled quite violently and got antagonistic - which of course I understand, if she thinks I'm a stranger. But it still shocked me, given that she had been "humouring" me as someone she apparently knew for the previous several hours of my visit.

I am conscious that she hasn't got long and I am lucky that she can still speak and engage socially on some level; so each time I visit, I feel a desperate need to say or do something that might awaken a glimpse of our old relationship or some moment of her acknowledging me as her daughter, who loves her, not just some health visitor or social worker (which is what I think she probably believes I am).

At the same time, both the emotional strain of trying to be constantly "prepared" for losing her at any time and the physical effort of the 200-mile round trips (often in bad weather at this time of year) is wearing me down. I feel that my visits are no longer a comfort to her (and indeed sometimes an annoyance; if I try to help her to eat or drink, for instance, or to make her comfortable, she will bat me away, saying "just leave me alone"), yet equally I don't want to miss the chance to connect with her while she still has some cognisance.

In some ways, I think I would find it easier to accept if she just didn't appear to know me or anyone at all (although I'm sure I'll regret saying that, when that time comes); what I find so hard is the impression that she is still "herself" with me on the surface and with other people, but she has no feeling at all for me - the person who has been closest to her all my life.

I don't care if she doesn't know my name or remember where I live or what I do; I just long to know that she feels something of our relationship, even if she can't put that feeling into context.

Last week, when I drove back home in the fog, feeling quite scared, I felt so sad to think that if anything happened to me, she would neither know nor care. I'll never stop visiting completely, because I need to make sure she is being well cared for and has everything material that she needs. But I just don't know how to approach communicating with her now or managing my emotional expectations. For her sake, I know I shouldn't "expect" anything from her, but given that she can still engage on the surface, it's very hard not to go on hoping that I can make her "know me", if even for a moment.

I wondered, for instance, if it would be harmful now just to say, "I know you don't know me, but I know you, and I'd like to tell you some stories about our lives", just so I could share those memories with her for that moment (as I probably would if she were in a coma or totally unable to speak). However, I suspect she wouldn't like it and would tell me to shut up and go away.

I'm not sure what I'm asking here really, just does anyone have any advice?

Last edited:

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I hope you wouldn't be offended if I suggest that you turn your visits right around. The visits could be for your peace of mind and not to please your mother in any way. Take a book or watch tv or listen to the radio, or even do some work whilst at her bedside.

Whilst you are there, you can do just as the carers do and offer her drinks, make passing remarks, fluff up her pillows and generally keep the visit low key and fairly impersonal because the main purpose of the visit is for you to make sure she is kept clean, comfortable and the staff are doing their best for her.

As to the sadness and heartbreak of slowly losing your beloved mum before your very eyes, I have no words of advice except to say that you are being a very good daughter just by visiting and being at her side even if she doesn't realise this. It may be a comfort to you that she doesn't fully recognise you and therefore, she is spared the agony you yourself are suffering.

xxTinaT

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I think you already recognise that all the emotion and feeling is with you now and the visits are because of that. The woman that was your mother would be so pleased with you but dementia doesn't allow her to be that woman. Being dispassionate is easy for the outsider but impossible for the carer involved. You can only continue until the inevitable happens but should be looking at your own future in parallel with this trying to build up your interests and other relationships for when she is gone.

This is a sad time for you and I wish you well.

Bedelia

Dec 15, 2011
Thanks, both. TinaT, yes, that is what I do. It's just that because she can still speak in a way that sounds "normal", it's very hard to believe that she really doesn't know me at all, even though her behaviour tells me this is indeed the case.

I am trying to rebuild my life outside this, but so long as she is still physically here, I guess I feel I have to keep trying.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My mother is similar - she is 96, advanced AD. Most of the time she does not want any cuddles or anything of the sort. She has often pushed me away or clearly become irritated. People often recommend hand massages - I did try a couple of times, only to be very irritatedly pushed away.

She has not known who I am for ages now. Sometimes she used to seem vaguely pleased to see me anyway - the 'nice lady' who brought her chocolate and made her cups of tea, but it's rare now. Most of the time, if she is awake, I just get a blank look.

It has been going on so long now I suppose I have developed a sort of shell, and it doesn't upset me any more.

She is often asleep during much of my visits, and I can then kiss her goodbye properly, without any irritation on her part. Very rarely she will still seem to enjoy a cuddle, but I never expect it at all any more.

Bedelia

Dec 15, 2011
Thanks, Witzend; my sympathies. It is such a long road, isn't it?

Just off to see mum now; home called last night to say she wasn't too good (but not emergency), so I'm going down a day early for the w/e and will stay the w/e, as it's the unit's Christmas party this pm/eve. (Had been debating whether to go for that, as the last couple of years mum hasn't wanted to join in with anything and it's been more sad than cheery.)

Yet again, this could be it, so I'm trying not to get too wound up this time.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I have been debating the Christmas party, too - next Friday. For the past couple of years she's been way past enjoying any such thing. Last year I went anyway but told them not to bother getting her changed and taken down - what was the point? And there's always a singer of some description and she always did hate anything noisy. I will probably go anyway to show willing - and buy raffle tickets etc. - since she's been there so long now - and OH said he'd come - he likes their party nibbles! But it's easy for me - only 10 mins in the car. Quite a different thing for you.

Bedelia

Dec 15, 2011
Went in for the party, but as expected, mum wasn't in the mood to join in. We stayed in her room; I had nibbles and she had a bit of Buck's Fizz (pronouncing it "awful!"). Physically, she turned out to be better than they had feared the day before, which is good (still eating a bit and drinking quite well); but I only stayed one night, as yesterday's visit was very upsetting - she did appear to "know me" (by my name, but as her "mother"), but was in a very antagonistic mood, feeling that where she is it not "home", and blaming me for everything.

I know it comes from fear - she doesn't understand where she is or why - but it seems there's nothing I can say or do to alleviate that fear now. She was antagonistic at me for visiting her there, as she took that to be colluding with her being somewhere that she doesn't want to be; but equally she has no concept of where she lived before or would like to be, and even when she was still in her own home (now sold to fund her care), she had these same feelings of strangeness and resentment.

People keep reminding me that "it's not her, it's the illness" and of course I know that; but it's still hard to hear her whispering about me (nastily) to imaginary people and telling me she hates me for "abandoning her".

At the moment, she either doesn't know me at all (but superficially pretends that she does, as explained in my first post), or she does know me to some extent (as a family member), but not in a good way. There seems to be nothing positive I can awaken for her - no glimpse of happy memory or affection or humour; everything is bitter and negative. Yet she can still put on the banter for the staff!

I know I'm not saying anything new here; you will all recognise some of this. But I just feel so sad that we haven't got long together, and our last days are spent at best in heavy silence, at worst, in acrimony. I'm afraid I left sobbing yesterday and cried all the way home. Dreading Christmas, tbh. If I had a partner, I would probably stay at home and go to visit mum before or after; but as I don't, it remains a dilemma.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts, everyone. Just letting off steam!

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
An "off the wall" suggestion from another daughter losing her Mum ...

Would it help you if you wrote a long letter to the Mum you had quite recently (the Mum who loved and cared for you), telling her everything that was important and valued about your joint relationship? That would be your opportunity to say what you need to say.

You might leave ideas to simmer for a few days and then write the answer back to this letter that you think your Mum would have written if she could.

Bedelia

Dec 15, 2011
Thanks, AlsoConfused. Some version of that may help at some point, but I think at the moment I would find it too upsetting. I do know that her real self would be heartbroken to see us as we are now, and the real her doesn't hate me (far from it); but at the moment, that just makes the situation all the more painful - it's so far removed from her true personality, yet it's been going on for so long now, it's sometimes hard to remember her as she really was. It feels as if all our joint past, all the good things, have been erased.

I'm sure you know what I mean; my sympathies to everyone else going through this too. Thanks for taking the time to respond; appreciated.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Thanks, AlsoConfused. Some version of that may help at some point, but I think at the moment I would find it too upsetting. I do know that her real self would be heartbroken to see us as we are now, and the real her doesn't hate me (far from it); but at the moment, that just makes the situation all the more painful - it's so far removed from her true personality, yet it's been going on for so long now, it's sometimes hard to remember her as she really was. It feels as if all our joint past, all the good things, have been erased.

I'm sure you know what I mean; my sympathies to everyone else going through this too. Thanks for taking the time to respond; appreciated.

It is very hard for you. I feel as if I lost my mother long ago, but then it has all gone on so many years now. If her decline had been faster or over a shorter period, then in a way I think it would have been harder. But I do sometimes wish it had all been less prolonged - at least it would have been over for her, and for us who have had to witness this very slow and painful decline. She is now just a very poor old thing I go and visit. Of course I still love her, but it is somehow different now - not less, but different.

Daughter asked me not long ago whether it upsets me to see Granny like this, and I had to say, no, not any more - it has gone on so long. Though now and again it does still hit me hard, like recently when I arrived to find her being cleaned up after an 'accident' - such loss of dignity for someone who was so intensely sensitive and private does seem so dreadfully cruel. The only 'blessing' is that she is no more aware than a baby, but telling myself that does not always help.

I do still remember the good times, though - only yesterday I was thinking of how how she used to arrive for Christmas all smiley on the doorstep and always with a load of her home made mince pies - so much nicer than any from the shops - and how our dog (RIP bless her) would go mad with excitement because Granny was here. I hope it will be that sort of memory I will keep, not those of her dementia years.

Last edited: