Still alive and kicking - writing my book

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Sorry I haven't been on the forum for ages.
I am beavering away with writing my book of short stories about memory, I am about 3/4 of the way there and I am loving the challenge. Somedays it's slow progress, somedays none at all!
I haven't forgotten you all.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hard to believe but I was just thinking about you today Sarah and wondering how you were. Good to hear all is well. :)

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Good to hear you are still writing Sarah and enjoying it by the sounds of it, well done .

Skylark33

Aug 26, 2016
Gosport, Hampshire UK
Hi Sarah, it's good to hear that you're writing - it's something I've been thinking about, partly because what I've written today will still be there for me to read tomorrow, so I will be able to remember it.

Maybe writing is something that more of us ought to do. Some sort of writing group, even...?

Best wishes, Martin

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Hi Sarah, it's good to hear that you're writing - it's something I've been thinking about, partly because what I've written today will still be there for me to read tomorrow, so I will be able to remember it.

Maybe writing is something that more of us ought to do. Some sort of writing group, even...?

Best wishes, Martin
I am taking my first creative writing session tomorrow as the tutor! I hope to start a creative writing group for those affected by dementia

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
P1670915 (2).JPG
I have decided to self-publish with Kindle Direct as an ebook and a small taster paperback.
I went to Althorpe Literary Festival last week to get some tips!
I had a lovely chat with Pam Ayres

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester

Best wishes, Martin
Hi martin. I think thats a lovely idea to maybe do some group writing. We can inspire each other. Im new to TP and am awaiting tests.. but i have an inner knowing. At the moment its a get through the day process. Dose it get easier? I cry a lot as i forget my childrens birth weight and time of birth. Little things i can cope with but when its memories of loved ones it hurts. Sorry to hijack your post. Just thought it was a nice idea. All the best sue

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Hi martin. I think thats a lovely idea to maybe do some group writing. We can inspire each other. Im new to TP and am awaiting tests.. but i have an inner knowing. At the moment its a get through the day process. Dose it get easier? I cry a lot as i forget my childrens birth weight and time of birth. Little things i can cope with but when its memories of loved ones it hurts. Sorry to hijack your post. Just thought it was a nice idea. All the best sue
This sounds a great idea I would gladly help get us started

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
This sounds a great idea I would gladly help get us started

I would really like this. It depends i guess on how many others would be intrested.. and with the nature of this disease i wonder how easy it would be to get people on board. If you Sarah or when martin catches up with the post have ideas as to how to get it going that would be great. All the best sue. X

Skylark33

Aug 26, 2016
Gosport, Hampshire UK
My sincere apologies to those interested in a writing group. I feel bad about this, because I suggested it and then disappeared for ages... I have had a bad patch, which I expect you all know about - getting anxious, some physical problems and memory issues all piling up, plus my lovely Annie, who has spent masses of time looking after me, has also got a health issue now.

Anyway, I will try to keep going this time. I used to run witing groups as part of my job, so I have some experience to go on. The main thing, I reckon, is for all of us to respect the feelings of each other. We all make mustakes now and agane, and it's no fun if people keep correcting you!

I guess we're mostly interested in ideas, experiences and thoughts that we can share - for example, our childhoods are all different but we have lived through many of the same years. We can compare our experiences and see how they can best be put into words... Yes? Or you may have a different idea!

One thing that comes to mind as a 'starter' is the fun that we kids used to have on bomb sites in the years after the war - I was born in 1944 and we lived in Bristol, which was heavily bombed. The ruins made a fab playground, ideal for 'dens' and full of wild flowers in summer...

OK, I will shut up now, and let someone else say something...

Martin
PS It says Skylark 33 on my stuff, because I thought we were supposed to have aliases. That shows how stupid I am. My real name is Martin Corrick. My dad flew a Skylark glider with the number 33 on the tail. Now shut up you old goat.

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
My sincere apologies to those interested in a writing group. I feel bad about this, because I suggested it and then disappeared for ages... I have had a bad patch, which I expect you all know about - getting anxious, some physical problems and memory issues all piling up, plus my lovely Annie, who has spent masses of time looking after me, has also got a health issue now.

Anyway, I will try to keep going this time. I used to run witing groups as part of my job, so I have some experience to go on. The main thing, I reckon, is for all of us to respect the feelings of each other. We all make mustakes now and agane, and it's no fun if people keep correcting you!

I guess we're mostly interested in ideas, experiences and thoughts that we can share - for example, our childhoods are all different but we have lived through many of the same years. We can compare our experiences and see how they can best be put into words... Yes? Or you may have a different idea!

One thing that comes to mind as a 'starter' is the fun that we kids used to have on bomb sites in the years after the war - I was born in 1944 and we lived in Bristol, which was heavily bombed. The ruins made a fab playground, ideal for 'dens' and full of wild flowers in summer...

OK, I will shut up now, and let someone else say something...

Martin
PS It says Skylark 33 on my stuff, because I thought we were supposed to have aliases. That shows how stupid I am. My real name is Martin Corrick. My dad flew a Skylark glider with the number 33 on the tail. Now shut up you old goat.
Haha. That made me smile. Shut up you old goat.
When you talk of your alias. . It brought back childhood memories of a tv programme i used to watch. I had to Google what it was as i hadn't a clue. but it brought bk the catch phrase. . All aboard the Skylark. Im a bit younger than you martin i was born 1964. It was called noah and nelly and was out in the 70s. So it may not bring back fond memories for you.
Its a bit like thinking through broken glass today but childhood memories is a good start. Iv no experience of writing groups but im open to having a go.
My childhood was spent alone a lot of the time. I had a wicked grandmother who locked me in a celler. Sound a bit like a fairytale eh?
But i remember making dens out of my mums cloths maiden with a blanket over it then id pretend i was an orphan and it was an orphanage. On a more happy memory i loved to ride my bike on sunny days or climb trees and just sit there feeling really pleased with myself having got up there. Anyways ill shut up now but great to hear from you and glad your feeling a bit better. Hope your Annies health issues arnt anything to serious. Much love and respect Sue

Skylark33

Aug 26, 2016
Gosport, Hampshire UK
Hello Sue - yes - bikes! - when you mention that, I do suddenly remember how fantastic it was to have my first 'proper' bike, so I could swoosh down to the shops, or over to my mate John's house, with no bother at all... Oh yes, and I now I recall that we'd hang on to the back of the milk float as it went up Parry's Lane - quite steep that was, especially at the top, so it saved a lot of time and effort, even though we weren't very popular with the milkman...That would have been about 1951, I think.

Before that I had a little red tricycle with pedals on the front wheel - not very good at all, and I had a job to keep up with Mum if she was walking briskly, which she usually was. She would have been 32 then... Elisabeth was her name, though everyone called her Liz. We (my little sister Ann and I) called her Mummy, which seems a bit soppy now... She was a lovely Mum, though she was very shy in company. She much preferred being with her children and close family members, despite having been quite a high-powered secretary at de Havilland Aircraft during the war - she had fantastic shorthand skills that she would occasionally (if we nagged her enough) demonstrate to us. Magic writing! We could enhance our standing among other children by getting Mum to take down something in shorthand as fast as it could be spoken. Lovely Mum. Fortunate children, we were.

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
Hello martin. How are you today? And hows the wife? Iv forgotten her name now, but i hope shes feeling better.
Your Mum sounds a lovely woman. So loving and gentle. My Mum was called Pat she died 2007. She was a lovely loving gentle person to she did a lot for me and my children and i miss her terribly. More so of late with having to go through all this alone. Anyway enough of feeling sorry for myself as the post IS titled STILL ALIVE AND KICKING.
Oh yes the three wheeler trikes. How fast did our little legs have to go to keep up with the big kids. Lol.
That makes me think of the big kids making what they called trashers.. which basically was the wheels of a silver cross pram as a chassis with a seat built on to it. The front wheels were articulated and the steering was done by using a bit of old rope. I was only ever allowed to have a little ride around the cul de sack, mostly i would watch the big kids on it.

And yes the good old milk man. Which brings back happy memories of the rag and bone man. He used to give me a balloon when i took the old clothing or whatever out to him. How little things made us happy eh?
Being a girl i was more wendy houses and playing hospitals at that age which is about 5 so it would be 1969, 1970 ish.. But i did like my roller skates as well there was a big hill by us too glenmore road and i would walk up the hill side ways on my skates then come down it. Mad really, Why i didnt just walk up and put them on when i got to the top ill never know. There was a shop called nora's at the top of the hill where my mum used to send me for bread. A proper loaf baked on the premises still warm and wrapped up in white tissue paper. Oh i did get into trouble when i got home because I had eaten all the corners of it. I dont think i got my spends that week. 25p i got when i did get it.. the things I could buy with that. Wow now im sounding like the old goat.. take care and speak soon. Sue. X

Last edited:

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
I hope you dont miss my other post. With me posting twice. But i wanted to share this with you before I forget. I hope it might ignite your recall but dont worry if not. My daughter was guilt tripping me earlier so i reluctantly went to a bonfire with her. Oh martin im so glad i went. I havent been that in the moment since I was a child. The wooshes the bangs the smells. I could feel the explosions of the rockets in my chest as they cascaded into pretty sparkles i could have cried it was so beautiful. The vivid reds, the shimmering golds the vibrant greens.
The embers of the fire as it was dieing yet still had dancing flames as well. It brought bk the fact that i love Catherine wheels and writing my name with sparklers. And a childhood memory of being chased by an exploding rip rap when i was about 5 or 6. I remember i was so sceard by it at the time.
Even the fact that i had to ask my daughter what a bull dog was as i couldn't remember what breed of dog it was didnt put the dampers on the evening. And normally that would be a good reason for the bully in my head to start. But no. Not today.
Anyway hope to catch up soon. Stay well and stay safe. X

Last edited: