Still Alice

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My daughter and grand daughter saw this in Kuwait. Isla is twelve and showed quite an interest in dementia as it is portrayed by Julianne Moore. Since then she has asked her mother a lot more about Grandpa's AD. So as well as being a great film it can stimulate interest in what is one of our biggest health and social problems.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I have tickets to a preview on 1 March. I could never quite relate to the book, so let's see what the film will be like. Not a fan of Julianne Moore though I am afraid.

Miss Merlot

Oct 15, 2012
Just watched it now.

Very very good, I thought - though obviously horrendously bleak.

I thank God now that - infuriating as it might be for OH and me - MIL is spared the burden of insight...

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I thank God now that - infuriating as it might be for OH and me - MIL is spared the burden of insight...

We can only hope there is a lack of insight. But my mother, who we never told she had Alzheimer's because she reacted so aggressively when we tried, knew there was something wrong with her. I think my mother's agitation and aggression were partly due to her fear and panic.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It was good. It wasn't great. The speech she held at the Alzheimer's conference was moving. Her coping strategies like highlighting every line she read were admirable but even she didn't foresee that the suicide instructions she gave herself via video would fail over the simple fact she couldn't remember them long enough to carry them out!

Maiakins

Jul 7, 2015
Tring, Hertfordshire
I found it very helpful and interesting, albeit tough. I am struggling with this condition and this helped me to have an open discussion with my family.
The extras on the DVD are very interesting and helpful.