Still agitated - infection or more advanced stage of dementia.

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
I was wondering if agitation and delusion are a part of the next stage in advanced dementia? Mum's recently had another UTI and the symptoms are not getting any better but the doctor says a urine sample is clear so I am wondering if it is the dementia? Mum has started talking to invisible people and shouting. She has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I don't think there is an easy answer to that one.

If an infection has been ruled out then it may well be the dementia, unless something else like medication, living arrangements etc., has changed recently to create confusion and unsettle her.

My wife has what her Consultant has described as a significant vascular element to her brain pathology and she too frequently talks to invisible people and occasionally shouts. My wife also talks to invisible animals, usually cats. I just report it at her clinic appointments but otherwise ignore it after asking if she's OK.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
IIf an infection has been ruled out
But that's the problem, an infection hasn't been ruled out, just one type of (albeit a very common one) infection has been ruled out.
As far as I'm aware my wife has never had a UTI all of her several courses of antibiotics have been for either her COPD or a recurrent ear infection, she started a new course for her ear infection yesterday.
As I say UTI's are very, very common but a white blood cell count is the only way to check for other possible infections which could be from any number of causes some of which could be quite serious if untreated.
K

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Ditto. I dont know of any UTI in my husband although an infection has several times been suspected. A cold, a skin rash - pretty much anything can upset balance. I have been using antiseptic on some small boils on my husband and he has improved. I think that can be counted as an infection.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
In my experience with Mum with Alzheimers and in her care home 2.5yrs with every UTI ( she’s had 4 ) she develops Delirium which lasts weeks and weeks and Mum never quite recovers to where she was.
We have had hyper delirium with agitation/hallucinating/agression and also hypo delirium where Mum is quiet, withdrawn, doesnt eat.

The only thing that has helped long term is a small dose of Quetiapine.

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
In my experience with Mum with Alzheimers and in her care home 2.5yrs with every UTI ( she’s had 4 ) she develops Delirium which lasts weeks and weeks and Mum never quite recovers to where she was.
We have had hyper delirium with agitation/hallucinating/agression and also hypo delirium where Mum is quiet, withdrawn, doesnt eat.

The only thing that has helped long term is a small dose of Quetiapine.

I suppose I forget that the infections / antibiotics are toxins in the body and can and will take a while to go out of the body.

I guess only time will tell if it's an infection or worsening of the dementia.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan