Stiffness and mobility

Farzi

Mar 30, 2021
My husband had stiffness in his legs following his fall that resulted in Alzheimer. This didn’t affect his mobility very much. He was able to walk a fair distance though not long distances.
He had his weekly physio yesterday. we both walked down to the Physio and back home. He was happy and didn’t complain. we noticed he was struggling to get out of his usual chair and had to be helped out of his chair. We had to help him to sit at the dinning table to eat with us all. (My niece is visiting us for a few days). He had to be helped up the stairs and helped to get in and out of the bed. I had to help him during the night to get in and out of the bed.
is this 2nd phase of his Alzheimer?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
It could be a progression of your husband's Alzheimer's @Farzi, but maybe worth getting him checked over in case something else is going on. I certainly didn't realised that dementia affects mobility as well as cognition. My mum was amazingly fit and healthy for someone in their late eighties until the dementia progressed. She rarely gets out of bed now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dementia did have an effect on my husband`s mobility. He had been a regular walker too.

It had no effect on my mother`s mobility. She was mobile until the end of her life.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH lost all his mobility and developed spasticity in his arms and hands. He was always on the move before diagnosis. 5yrs year ago I would have bet my house on him being physically able well into his 90s but it didn't work out like that.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum lost spatial awareness fairly early on, and this had an affect on her ability to navigate kerbs etc hence affecting her mobility.

My understanding is that dementia affects all of the brain and so affects different elements in different orders.

I've always liked @Sarasa 's 'logic boxes are fried' statement as this sums up the fact that dementia isn't just memory loss.

My mum is disagnosed with Alzheimer's and her progression has been slow as fits with this diagnosis, however her ability to perform the required steps to cook a meal went fairly early on (8 years ago), whereas her memory wasn't that bad at this point.

Her mobility has been deteriorating over the last few years and I have put this down to the dementia progressing.

Farzi

Mar 30, 2021
Thank you all for your responses. my husband was almost back to normal walking from 1pm yesterday. I did LTF test on him later in the late afternoon. His result showed Covid positive. By the evening he lost control of his legs again. A clinician did come and found his Lower back was “tender”. He told him to take paracetamol.
my concern is older people don’t get the attention they deserve.
there are many causes of dementia including brain injury. His dementia is result of a fall that caused brain to bleed. He fell backward on a concrete floor. One would think a scan of his back would be in order. He could have injured his back. I guess, I shouldn’t complain. Perhaps younger people should have the priority due to pressure on NHS. I am aware of the wonder work all surgeries do.

Sigricb

Mar 23, 2020
Mum is 89 with Alzheimers she was mobile around her home until Nov last year when we found her on the bedroom floor she had a significant TIA she's had smaller ones before. After this her mobility took a nose dive she needs a zimmer and someone with her. Her balance is poor she seems to rock back on her heels when she stands up is very stooped and struggles to lift her head up. Often its as if she is frozen to the spot and she says " my legs won't work" We think maybe she has a degree of vascular dementia too? We have mentioned this to doctors and other professionals who just shrugged and say well its dementia and its progressive.