Step mother's nursing home fees.

brianr58

Oct 1, 2017
BIRMINGHAM
Sorry to hear your news, my condolences to the family.

We have just been to the hospital to see the Mental Health Nurse.
She did think my step mother could have lasted up to 6 months but as she said it is difficult to tell.
Most of the time was spent talking about us. She said the ward sister would normally have this conversation but she is away for a week. I think she really wanted to check we had not been affected from a health point of view by the recent problems.
It is a pity she was not involved earlier as she could have prevented a lot of worry as she was the main supporter of the NHS funding.
I officially retire on the 12th October which is fortunate so I am really just tying up loose ends at work.
I will be collecting the death certificate and other forms late this afternoon.
I hope to see the funeral director tomorrow morning. Oddly we go to the same class at the leisure centre as 1 of the directors and she has volunteered to direct the funeral even if it is her day off. I think that will be nice as my step mother was keen on keep fit.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Brianr,
I’m sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your stepmother - there really is no knowing how these things will go.

But I’m sorry you were caused such unnecessary worry - and sadly you are probably just one of many.

I wish you many years of peaceful retirement x

brianr58

Oct 1, 2017
BIRMINGHAM
Another thing is it was not just the inheritance.We had spent £28,000 on a new roof so at this point in time we have only paid out.
The only reaction we got from the social worker we are living in a £400,000 house so £28,000 is not much to us

Last edited:

brianr58

Oct 1, 2017
BIRMINGHAM
Again, that is butter all to do with the SW! :mad:

I wish you a long and happy retirement.

Just to let everybody know we got the death certificate and other forms on the Friday morning and we did the provisional arrangements for the funeral on the 26th October.
The next stage is to search the bungalow for money etc and then see if we have to apply for probate etc.
Most of the furniture belongs to us anyway.

brianr58

Oct 1, 2017
BIRMINGHAM
The funeral is arranged.
The problem is I did declare her money to the best of my knowledge to the council. I looked in the likely places but I found some money relating to Dad months after his death for example.

When I met the social worker again she kept ranting on about families having all the money of the patient and the tax payer having to pick up the bill.

This was not the case with us. The bungalow was paid for by Mum and Dad.

I had owned Mum's half since she died and it was clear in Dad's will I owned the bungalow from his death subject to my step mother's life time interest.

Really the council should thank us for accommodating her since 2012 as they did not have to provide social housing.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Just ignore the SW, @brianr58. She is simply ignorant and has a bee in her bonnet.
Concentrate on all the other things that need doing instead and dont waste your energy on her.