Stem Cell Science to help Alzheimers

alex

Apr 10, 2006
On my way home in the car i heard on the radio that Scientists have achieved the greatest breakthrough ever made in the field of stem cell science by taking cells from dead embryos and turning them into living tissue............this means that the technique could soon be used to create treatments for Alzheimers and Parkinsons.

However, as usual there is opposition to stem cell experiments, personally i think this breakthrough is brilliant...........not only is there now possible hope of a treatment for AD (some time in the future) but it also means that live embryos will no longer need to be used in experiments..........so whats the problem?...............maybe the opposers have never had anyone they love suffer from AD or Parkinsons.

Anyone interested can read more from :
www.life.org.uk or www.guardian.co.uk/science/story

Love Alex

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
alex said:
On my way home in the car i heard on the radio that Scientists have achieved the greatest breakthrough ever made in the field of stem cell science by taking cells from dead embryos and turning them into living tissue............this means that the technique could soon be used to create treatments for Alzheimers and Parkinsons.

However, as usual there is opposition to stem cell experiments, personally i think this breakthrough is brilliant...........not only is there now possible hope of a treatment for AD (some time in the future) but it also means that live embryos will no longer need to be used in experiments..........so whats the problem?...............maybe the opposers have never had anyone they love suffer from AD or Parkinsons.

Anyone interested can read more from :
www.life.org.uk or www.guardian.co.uk/science/story

Love Alex

Hi Alex

I would think some people would have a problem with how the stem cells were sourced ie how did the embyos 'die'?

I have to confess that until a couple of years ago I felt repelled by the thought of stem cell therapy if the stem cells had come from foetuses. However, since my son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, which is one of the many conditions where there is hope for a cure or better treatments using stem cell therapy, my views have changed somewhat.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Stem cell

Hi Nada,

This research sounds good. It may not be in place in time for many of us, but at least there is hope for those who follow us with this illness. My only concern is that the government and NICE might try to stop it the way that they have with the medication. Still we have to live in hope if not for us, then for all those in the future. I myself could never have imagined what this illness could be like, and without the Exelon, I really do not know what I would be like now.

Regards

kenc