steep learning kerb!

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hi everyone ....... We finally managed to borrow wheelchair from Red Cross and went off to York for the day. Had a lovely day - sunshine, dad recognising some things, said "thanks very much" when we dropped him back at the nh :)

Wheelchair is great ....... but several problems that someone here might be able to advise on:

1) is there any technique for getting people from wheelchair to car and back? Dad doesn't seem to understand what he needs to do, so have to manoevre him myself. Made a bit of a pig's ear of it :eek:

2) same problem getting him on and off the toilet - for which we didn't realise we'd need a RADAR key and didn't have one :(

3) we adjusted the foot rests to length advised by Red Cross - that is, so his lower leg more or less at right angles to his upper leg. But that meant foot plate almost on the floor (he's not very tall - so surely that can't be right?) and his feet kept coming off - or he was taking them off and scraping them along the floor.

4) dad then realised it was a good game to start grabbling at bus stops, lamp posts and railings as we went along. thankfully he didn't progress to grabbing hold of people. how on earth do you watch feet, arms, kerbs, other pedestrians, and wipe his dribbly mouth and carry all the bags all at the same time??:confused:

tired out and a little wiser than I was yesterday :)
hugs
Áine

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Aine, there is something called a 'transfer board' which could make it easier to do the manoever. However Lionel has no spatial awareness so it is always 'trial and error'for us . Talk to Red Cross or local mobility shop.

As for the toilet, no advice I'm afraid. I try to lift Lionel, no wonder I am so worn out.

You should get him properly fitted in wheelchair. Can you not get him to a Red cross centre in the chair.......I know, sorry, easier said than done.

As for pulling on lamposts and such, you have to speak sharply, as you would to a child, and keep on, and on.

Sorry to sound negative, it does get easier in time. Regards

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Áine said:
.. dad then realised it was a good game to start grabbling at bus stops, lamp posts and railings as we went along.

Áine, hope you don't mind but that really made me smile!!!!! Just conjured up such a picture of your dad having a good time! :) I know what Connie means - seem to be forever 'snapping' at mum - "Not now, haven't got the brakes on!" etc..

Brilliant title too! Reminds me of some of the lessons I have learnt over the years - hospital corridors are NOT gently sloping (need those road signs 1/10 gradient, sharp bend ahead etc)... nice driveways for cars mean pavements will suddenly slope from right to left (adverse camber (sp?))...

Not having too much trouble yet manouevering mum in and out of a chair when we use one, but do sympathise with the 'lifting' aspect - bathtime is a bit of a comedy sketch - or a horror - depending what mood we are both in!!!!

I think the mention of being properly 'trained' in handling and lifting has come up before..... (including from me) - I would jump at the chance to get proper instruction - carers must be prime candidates for back injuries...

Well done for trying! Huge physical/emotional/organisational effort but know you'll persevere if it's helping dad! Let us know when you've chucked off the 'L plates' - good excuse for the next on-line party!!! ;)

Love, Karen (TF)

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Áine

Not in a position to offer any helpful advice :)o just occurred to me I often start my posts with that phrase ...) but I certainly want to offer my congratulations on the tremendous effort you made to give your Dad a great day out! Well done!!

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Tender Face said:
I think the mention of being properly 'trained' in handling and lifting has come up before..... (including from me) - I would jump at the chance to get proper instruction - carers must be prime candidates for back injuries... Karen (TF)

Karen, (or anyone) ask at your local Red Cross or St Johns Ambulance centre, I think they do lessons.
Right, bend those knees, keep that back straight ... :D

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi all,

áine,
well done on managing a day out ;) ive only managed a few hours so far not many miles under my belt:rolleyes:

the problem we had was how do you get "the passenger" to bend knees to allow feet to go onto foot rest i thought id have to break her legs:eek: and im sure i saw a glint of satisfaction in her eye while she was watching me sweat:eek: i should have been a better child!!:D

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
dmc said:
not many miles under my belt:rolleyes:

mm ......... not sure if we have miles under our belt, or miles of belt under dad! on the way home he insisted on reeling out the seat belt to it's full length and then trying to slide under it :eek: To be honest, I just let him get on with it ..... it kept his mind off trying to fiddle with the gear lever and the handbrake :eek:

dmc said:
the problem we had was how do you get "the passenger" to bend knees to allow feet to go onto foot rest i thought id have to break her legs:eek: and im sure i saw a glint of satisfaction in her eye while she was watching me sweat:eek: i should have been a better child!!:D

yup, we had that one too ..... couldn't believe how stiff he could hold his legs. The glint in the eye rings a real bell too. One of my cousins reckoned he could see that ages ago when I was struggling to get dad's braces on, and I was reminded of it again yesterday. ....... just sort of catch him looking at me out the corner of his eye. I love it though - he's been mild and passive and frankly pretty bland for almost 9 decades and now he's making up for lost time :D

ps....... how's the donkey?

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Tender Face said:
Áine, hope you don't mind but that really made me smile!!!!!

no, not at all Karen. glad it make you smile .... we had a good laugh too. Along with all the other hazards, York's lovely old cobbled streets are a nightmare for wheelchairs ...... adverse camber has nothing on that :eek:

you're dead right - lifting and handling is an important issue - and one that I didn't think properly about until yesterday. going to make sure I find some sort of training on it soon. I've checked out Red Cross website (Lynne) but they just seem to do first aid. Will check out St John. And ...... um ..... it did occur to me this afternoon that I work for the NHS ......... surely they could offer something :cool:

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi áine:)

im afraid ive sent the donkey packing with a load of carrots:D too much mess in the shed!!

im so glad its not only me having problems with stiff legs:eek: i was beginning to get a complex (mums stiff legs i should add!!)

if all else fails i have the number for a brilliant osteopath she sorted me out in no time:D