Steal from a vulnerable elderly adult and you'll get away with it!!

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Yes you did read it correctly. It's official. From the police woman's mouth! After waiting for nearly a year to get justice for my mum following huge amounts of money stolen from her by both a family member who was caring for her at the time, and also another non family member, and I mean huge, I had a visit from the police and confirmation they will be closing the case and not doing anything. Apparently it's too difficult to prove what my mums capacity was at the time of each and every transaction/amounts stolen so they're leaving it.

This heinous crime is on the increase, yet there is nothing at all in place really in our judicial system to bring about the prosecution of the perpetrators of such crimes. I don't believe in this case, there was ever a proper investigation done. I was totally appalled by what I was told by this woman. She never contacted the list of banks I gave her or even looked at statements or cheques I provided her with, yet it was patently obvious my mum never spent any money previously from her former statements and had always lived very frugally, squirreling everything away in several accounts. From my own investigations, I handed everything to the police on a plate. They have not only let my mum down but thousands of others who this is happening to right now, and those in the future. To say I'm furious is an understatement. My Mums money is now protected for the future yes, with a Cop deputy but I just cannot believe the apathy, ignorance, constant conflicting information from the two officers I dealt with, and complete lack of knowledge of how the Court of Protection operates when this is meant to have been dealt with by the Police's Adult Safeguarding unit.

I was brought up to respect the police and to believe in justice and accountability for crimes committed and suitable punishment but this has left a very bad taste and I shall be taking this further by way of a complaint to the Police Commission plus writing to the Chief of Police. So dreadfully upset by all this. It seems to me whenever a family member is doing the abusing the issue is swept under the carpet and I've read about this time and time again. Sounds silly but I feel so strongly about this as though I want to be an Ambassador to be the voice for all the people this has happened to!!

Last edited:

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I do really agree with you. I've been worried for some time because I think older people are becoming more and more vulnerable. I think there are a lot of initiatives around which leave them even more open to abuse. I'm not convinced that the current diy power of attorney is very helpful - it is so easy to do that i'm not sure how much it iprotects people (others on here know more about this)

I can't believe that the police have taken that attitude especially when you gave them so much evidence. Surely there is someone else who would take up the case even if as a public warning on what to watch out for and how to stop it.

I think your best bet is through the Press, its about getting someone interested. I might know someone who would talk to you if you are interested, someone who is a journalist and has an online 'blog' which gets quite a lot of attention.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Yes you are right fizzie. It's quite frightening and for all the talk and information about protecting the vulnerable of our society, in reality there is just simply not enough out there being done. What has also annoyed me is the lack of support from the SS and Deputy. They too are totally in denial!!

Thank you, I certainly would welcome the details of your contact please pm me. X

Last edited:

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Thank you for the link Jan. I will be following this up. I am not going to let it rest as I think the whole way in which this case has been handled is absolutely appalling. Something has to be done. I have been awake all night as I have an awful virus at the moment and spent the time re reading the few emails I received from this police officer and all the evidence I sent her. There is absolutely no continuity between her emails either. Something is very wrong and I will take this to the highest level and do whatever it takes. X

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
I think what also is so painful to me is that the two people responsible for financially abusing my Mum, also wrote the most malicious lies about me in a direct attempt to defamate my character during the 3 traumatic hearings at the Court of Protection I had to attend re objecting to the Deputyship Application and to keep my Mum with me at home (see previous posts). Stereotypical behaviour of abusers and yet nobody seems to see it!! I don't know that I will ever get over what they put me, my Mum and my Fiancé through over all that and now to have this case closed just beggars belief. Sorry but I feel so let down.

care2share

Jun 14, 2015
London
I think what also is so painful to me is that the two people responsible for financially abusing my Mum, also wrote the most malicious lies about me in a direct attempt to defamate my character during the 3 traumatic hearings at the Court of Protection I had to attend re objecting to the Deputyship Application and to keep my Mum with me at home (see previous posts). Stereotypical behaviour of abusers and yet nobody seems to see it!! I don't know that I will ever get over what they put me, my Mum and my Fiancé through over all that and now to have this case closed just beggars belief. Sorry but I feel so let down.

Hi TMB
I remember reading your posts some months ago which all came to a sudden close.I'm wondering what happened in the gap between then and now as I believe there had not been any deputy appointed at that time.Could it be a professional deputy was eventually appointed? Have you managed to keep Mum at home with you? I remember how desperate you were feeling and I'm really sorry to hear things are no better. I'm still hopeful.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
There is no rest for you on this issue is there tmb? One door closes another opens and not in a good way.
Please do highlight this issue by every means possible. For the sake of everyone concerned.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
This is so wicked. That is the second time I have heard of a GP getting away with it, their names should be blasted everywhere and as for the bank staff I can't believe it - no lasting punishment, makes me want to bring back capital punishment for these 'true and trusted members of our community'

A hospital consultant caused my mother to lose her sight in one eye, we had evidence from another consultant and a law firm took on the case but my mother was unable to give evidence and so it had to be dropped. in these cases the law should allow for someone else to give evidence as long as there is enough other evidence.

Last edited by a moderator: