'staying put', mobility allowance and direct payments.....

Suzanna

Dec 5, 2007
Manchester/London
Hello all

I'm not sure if i have posted here enough for anyone to 'know me' yet, but i thought i'd just check in again with an update of sorts and a quick question (or two :p). Mum is still at home, looked after primarily by Dad and a carer (who for those who believe, is an actual God send in our lives) while Dad is at work (or off sailing if he can get the time!). Nothing is sorted re my Sister and Dad not liking each other etc and i'm still playing go-between/peace keeper! Dad had a mini panic-attack type thing this morning (not a medical panic attack) just an 'i can't do this (caring) any longer' moment/hour when nothing i said could calm him, i fear he is his own worse enemy sometimes though as you suggest things to help but he doesn't like change, e.g. why don't we get someone in to help clean once a week (theory being its just one less thing for him to worry about) response: i don't like strangers in the house.... (!) i appreciate his point, however, when he is shaking with panic about caring, paperwork, food shopping etc it kind of makes you wonder if having a stranger in the house once a week is quite so bad if it means his life is that bit easier!!?
anyway, this is becoming a bit of a rant, which it wasn't meant to be!

on to the dreaded questions (sorry guys!!) - has anyone any experience of the organisation 'staying put'? i'm not sure if it is just in our borough, but we are in the middle, well the begining actually, of applying for a LARGE grant (more paperwork to assess our financial situation which i struggle to complete as our financial situation is one giant mess!) to build a downstairs bedroom and bathroom for Mum so she can continue to be cared for at home, and just wondered if anyone had any experience with this organisation...?

Ditto for Mobility allowance, apparently they fund special vehicles or offer money towards running your own vehicle?

Ditto direct payment scheme - this allowance that the SS are giving us, can it be used to pay for domestic help as opposed to a direct carer? the thinking being, Mum (the person now in need of care) used to do all the paperwork, cleaning, food shopping etc, as all Mums do best! and obviously can no longer, therefore hoping we can use some of this money to hire someone to help with these things...

hope this wasn't to long guys, my thoughts and best wishes to you all,

Suzanna

PS: i am now officialy graduated (YAY!!) so if anyone wants some 'off the record' advise from an albeit new but familiar with dementia speech and language therapist knock yourselves out!! :D

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Congratulations Suzanna

On your Graduation.

I'm sorry, I have no help to offer re. your problem, but I'm sure there are many here who have had to jump through the hoops and will be able to share their experience with you.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
First off Suzanna - well done for graduating - congratulations.

I'm not familiar with the organization you're talking about - sounds like a great idea but I would be wondering what happens if the property modifications end up being insufficient. After all, it's not just showering that becomes a trial (as your father is finding out).

Is your mother under 65? Because thats when the mobility component of DLA comes into play. If she is, though, it's very worthwhile applying for because you can keep it past 65 if it's awarded before 65, but it's not awarded initially if you're over 65 (does that make sense?)

As to what the direct payments can be used for - while I can see where you're coming from, I don't believe that that is how it can work. Direct Payments are provided in lieu of caring rather than as a substitute for the lost skills of the person.

Edited to add: I guess "staying put" is this lot http://www.stayingput.org.uk/cust_index.html ?

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
has anyone any experience of the organisation 'staying put'?

They are was Just thinking it was a new name they made up in our area Only .

Yes they are funding my mother walk in shower.

You still need a referral from your Local OT, & OT does an assessment on your mother mobility around the house .

Is this what you mean ?

http://www.stayingput.co.uk/home+improvement/

Then click in the link ( in how it works )http://www.stayingput.co.uk/home+improvement/How+does+it+work/

That is the one that runs by are my local housing trust

Before I go into it .

Dose your father , mother own they own home Or is rented from the Council or a housing association?

It does not matter if they own they own home.

Just May be it depend on they saving if they have to Contribute to the major improvement to the house . I'm not 100 cent sure on that

Ditto direct payment scheme - this allowance that the SS are giving us, can it be used to pay for domestic help as opposed to a direct carer?

Yes, but if you been allocated the money just for direct carer , Just use it for cleaner , your going to have money left over, as then you've been allocated to much money

I know they can give you more money , if you need it for a Cleaner also someone to help with the cooking & direct carers, rather then stooping the direct carer's. you Just need to ask SW to do a reassessment review on your mother care need .

So its best to talk to the SW about that, Just tell SW your mother care needs are getting higher your father not coping, but still want his wife at home with him . So can your please do a reassessment on my mother care needs, to support my father in keeping my mother at home with him .

Mobility allowance, apparently they fund special vehicles or offer money towards running your own vehicle?

They is dial a ride Or black cabs , that run under a cheaper rate for people with disability's. You can pick up a form from your local town hall, take it to your doctors who stamp it . Then you just send it of to them

Don't know about money towards running your own vehicle , as I can't drive so never ask .

Last edited:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Suzanna,
Ditto for Mobility allowance, apparently they fund special vehicles or offer money towards running your own vehicle?

If anyone is receiving Mobility Allowance at the Higher rate they can opt for having a mobility vechicle instead.
(i.e. Lionel could have had a small car for no cost, just by giving up his mobility allowance each week)

This does not suit everyone. Remember too that if the car is only used by, or for the purpose of, the person claiming mobility allowance you can receive excemption from Car Tax.

Short girl

Mar 22, 2008
Direct Payments

If the Council has given mum a direct payment - this is used to meet her assessed eligible needs, but in a flexible way which should enable a little more choice and control. Using an agency of choice is easy, but if employing people, you need to think about all the other responsibilities that come with it, like insurance, tax etc and contingency plan - there should be a local advocacy or advice service that can support with that, they may even do a payroll service and help with submitting all the returns.
A lot of Councils are now going over to Individual Budgets or Self Directed Support - opens the box a little more. Basically people are assessed, get an indicative 'budget' and then a support plan is drawn up and approved.

Suzanna

Dec 5, 2007
Manchester/London
cheers all!

just a quick thanks, i will look into all advice given, Mum is under 65 so YAY for the mobility allowance!! i think i must get on to the SW, is just so hard when you work 9-5!! they are hard to get hold of at the best of times!! xxx