Staying in touch with loved ones living in care homes: your experiences

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
But no answers put forward as to o how indoor visits for all can go ahead ...... other than testing, which doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

But it's such a difficult situation to resolve - what would be the answer? It seems that a lot of people are trying hard to find solutions and although testing seems to be a key issue there are the other factors such as staffing levels, local infection rates, care home layout/lack of space, availability of PPE etc which also have a bearing. It's difficult to see how there could ever be a 'one size fits all' approach to visiting restrictions, and care homes differ as much much as their resident's needs do. It was mentioned that perhaps care homes who are close to each other could share suggestions/good practice about how visits can be effectively facilitated, for example, if one home is allowing indoor visits and the other isn't what are they doing differently?

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Yes, you're right@Louise7 , there can't be a one size fits all approach, and sadly that's what giving guidelines does. I do feel tho that the Government isn't doing enough to resolve the problem, whether this means access to testing, funding ppe, or more staff etc. There has to be some way to facilitate indoor visits, and yes homes sharing suggestions/ good practice could only help.

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
Have just read the press release from Johns Campaign and it eloquently sets out all of the current issues. Really hope this case goes somewhere fingers crossed..

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
Ive emailed in some questions for the panel, but not sure how you follow a live stream, am sadly lacking in technology skills @Louise7 , so would love it if you would be able to update this thread with the outcome if you are able to tune in.
It's really hard getting a response from MPs, I've emailed my MP 3 times and she's still trying to dodge me. She's not doing surgeries, and I don't zoom so have asked her to phone me, but no luck on a time yet!
Have also tried emailing Helen Whately minister for Health and Social care but only have email for parliament address so kept being bounced back, and no one would fwd for me. Eventually got a phone number, and from that office an email contact which for anyone wanting to bombard Helen is
msc@dhsc.gov.uk
We just have to keep trying. The ladies you mentioned @Baker17 are doing so much.
Hi anxious annie I just saw your comment and will try emailing the MP as wel...

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Good luck with emailing your MP, I keep getting the automated reply. But I keep on trying, to her, my mum's etc. I did get a phone call from my MP, but she's at DHSC and just trots out the party line "keeping residents safe, minimising risks etc "