Staying in bed all day

Garlinge99

Jan 16, 2020
Hello, just wondering if its normal for a care home to let residents sleep in bed all day, I went to visit my farther last week to walk into his room & he was in bed, fast asleep it really shocked me to see him there, he looked dreadful. I went to find someone to asked & they said he wouldn't get up, it was 3 oclock in the afternoon. He has been in the care home for nearly 2 years & I'd never found him in bed before, Julie

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Garlinge99 and welcome to Talking Point.

If your dad has quite advanced dementia now then it is normal for them to want to sleep much more. Also, people with dementia often lose their normal body biorhythms and their sleep becomes fragmented.

Care homes are quite used to this. My mum was a persistent night wanderer, so would often sleep during the day and it was never a problem to the care home. They will not force someone to get up if they dont want to. One of the problems with people getting day and night round the wrong way is if they miss mealtimes, but care homes will usually offer food during the night if this happens. Being in bed during the day is not a sign of neglect if it is the persons choice.

Garlinge99

Jan 16, 2020
Hi @Garlinge99 and welcome to Talking Point.

If your dad has quite advanced dementia now then it is normal for them to want to sleep much more. Also, people with dementia often lose their normal body biorhythms and their sleep becomes fragmented.

Care homes are quite used to this. My mum was a persistent night wanderer, so would often sleep during the day and it was never a problem to the care home. They will not force someone to get up if they dont want to. One of the problems with people getting day and night round the wrong way is if they miss mealtimes, but care homes will usually offer food during the night if this happens. Being in bed during the day is not a sign of neglect if it is the persons choice.
Thank you for your reply, dad is in the advanced stages of alzheimer's, I dont know if he is awake at night, I am concerned about him eating, he looked very thin laid in the bed, it really scared me when I first saw him. I have spoken to the carer by phone because she was busy wile I was there, she did say they don't make them get up but surely it's not good for them to lay in bed all day

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid that sleeping more and eating less is what happens in advanced dementia. Care homes usually try to get them up at some stage during the day, but eventually they become quite frail and can become totally bed bound.
I dont know when you last saw your dad, but its not easy to visit care homes at the moment and if you havent been able to see him for a while the difference due to the dementia progressing can be quite shocking.

Garlinge99

Jan 16, 2020
Im afraid that sleeping more and eating less is what happens in advanced dementia. Care homes usually try to get them up at some stage during the day, but eventually they become quite frail and can become totally bed bound.
I dont know when you last saw your dad, but its not easy to visit care homes at the moment and if you havent been able to see him for a while the difference due to the dementia progressing can be quite shocking.
Thank you, I've seen dad the last 3 weeks on trot, I know it's a horrible disease, I'm just feeling very anxious at the minute