Staying in a hotel when incontinence is an issue

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Suggestions please. I'd like to take my mother away for a few days, but recently she's been having intermittent bouts of fecal incontinence at night. I am finding it very difficult to get my head around possible ways of handling this. Best solution would be disposable incontinence underwear, but the problem I have with this is getting her to keep them on - she wakes up in the night and takes them off. Even if I use a waterproof cover on the bed, my sheets etc, she still (if she has a problem) will try to deal with it herself, making the whole thing worse (I purchased a new mattress this week because of this). I have thought about gettting one of those pressure pads so that if she gets out of bed I will know about it. Any and all suggestions entertained! I will be staying in the same room, so I'll be right there. I just want to be prepared and give her as much dignity as is possible in this situation.

Jennifer

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
A chicken's way out, but I'd be making day trips from a fixed home base.

All too much of a worry otherwise....

But only you can judge! Best of luck....

mw52

Aug 25, 2006
Leeds
Suggestion

Hi - do you get continence products from your gp/health centre for your mum? We had disposable sheets for mum when she was at home - they are about a metre square - just like a big piece of kitchen roll with a thin plastic backing so not too sweaty. You could put these under the "real" sheets which would protect the mattress. Also you can buy some washable incontinence sheets - other TP'ers have posted about these - get them from Boots, or Lloyds chemists.
The other thing is where are you going? There are places you can stay where they are used to dealing with guests who have this sort of problem. There is a web site - can't remember know but am sure that another TP'er will have a link
Hope this helps - and hope you have a nice break!:)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes, well no one is a bigger chicken than I, Bruce...

It's just she really wants to see the sea again, and being slap dab in the middle of England, a day trip is a bit far for her.

Somewhere that was used to dealing with this would be first class. I've looked at the holidays for all site - there are possible candidates there, particularly as the other problem is that she's in a wheelchair, mostly. Does anyone have a personal recommendations for a seaside hotel?

Jennifer

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello - cannot offer any help at all but just to say I am very very interested in this subject - too near for comfort!! We would not wish to stay on the coast but need to go up North for family reunions and South to meet old friends. This problem is very near to my heart!!! Hope there are solutions out there. Beckyjan

mw52

Aug 25, 2006
Leeds
Oops!

Just realised I mentioned the names of the chemists - sorry if we're not supposed to do that! Found that link http://www.holidaycare.org.uk/respite. - hope it works. My mum and dad stayed at a hotel called The Breece in Scarbrough which is partly funded by Leeds City Council -
THE BREECE HOTEL
7 West Street
SCARBOROUGH
North Yorkshire
YO11 2QL Contact:
Ms Carole Snelson (Bookings Department)
Telephone: 08457 697226
Fax No: 01723 501945
Facilities
Public Lift Entertainments Outings Bed Hoist Manual Adjustable Beds
Wheelin Shower Commode Wheelchairs Walking Aids Oxygen
Concentrators Raised Toilet Seats Bed Blocks Deaf Aids Blind Aids
Bath Hoists Elec Bath Hoists Man
Matresses: Y
Baths: PARKER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Facilities for These Conditions
Alzheimers Autism Behavioural Problems Cardiac CysticFibrosis
Colostomy Cancer Depression DeafBlind Diabetes
Epilepsy Eczema HIV Positive Aids HardofHearing
Hyperactivity Continence Problem Mild Learning Disability Mental Health Multiple Sclerosis
Phys Disability Ambulant Phys Disability Wheelchair Parkinsons Disease Respiratory Problems RequiringOxygen
Special Diets Speech Impediment Visual Disability

Hope this helps

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Jennifer

I have the same problem. I've just cancelled a trip to Madeira, as John has recently become incontinent. He's disappointed but I couldn't face the problems in a hotel.

Have you thought of self-catering? We did one in June, when John was at his worst, and it worked fine. Most cottage/flats have washing machines and driers, and you have the privacy to 'clean up'. You just need to take mattress protection and lots of pants with you.

Good luck,

Skye

currywurst

Jan 29, 2006
Hi Jennifer,

My mum is doubly incontinent and we have nappies from the PCT that she uses. What I do at night is put some waterproof pants over the top, like the ones babies used to have over terry nappies. I bought them from boots and they are great as everything is contained! They are a godsend to me as mum used to pull her pad apart at night and it wasn't a pretty sight :eek:

If you don't have any pads supplied to you yet then the Tena lady pull on pants from boots with the waterproof pants over the top might work. Also in the baby section in boots they do 'bed mats' that are 3ft square plastic backed absorbent pads that can tuck under the mattress so the sheets wouldn't get messy.

I would agree with the other poster about self catering though. I often go away with mum and we get along fine, but I wouldn't go anywhere without a washing machine!

Good luck

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Jennifer, hope you find a solution.

Re: pressure mats. I have three at home for LIONEL, and I have found them a help. First step out onto the mat and you are aroused.

Mine came through the local SS (just about the only thing they have come up with) but understand they got them through a websight for the deaf. Makes sense when you think about it.

Best of luck,

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello : watching this thread carefully. Can you tell me what pressure pads are, please Connie? SS have not mentioned anything like this but perhaps I should discuss more with them (the first few items they supplied were rubbish so they are my last line for action). Thanks for other comments on this thread - I have found alot of useful information. Beckyjan

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
I'm also watching this thread carefully....We're going to my cousin's sons wedding in November which will mean an overnight stay.....i had planned to take the Kylie pad(think thats what its called),waterproof covers,old towels,own sheets,tena pants etc.....then it brought back memories of taking the kids anywhere when they were babies/toddlers.....their stuff used to fill the car!!!strange how things go round in a circle:rolleyes:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Pressure pads are electronic devices that cause an alarm when someone stands on them. The idea is that if the person gets out of bed, you're woken so you can deal with the issue.

Are any of the incontinance pants difficult to get off? Harder is better, because, as I said, Mummy takes them off - 89 years of taking your underwear off before you go to bed is obviously a stronger imperative than me begging her to keep them on.

I'd though about self-catering, but I only want to do it for a couple of nights at most, so I don't think that would work.

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Jennifer....I suppose the pull up pants are easy to get off.....but I have found mum is more likely to keep the pants on rather than pads (which the nurse suggested for nightwear)......the pads she took off straight away and stuffed down the loo:eek:

currywurst

Jan 29, 2006
Hi Jennifer

The pull up pants are just like big knickers with built in padding. I used to just tear them down the side to get them off so I suppose they would be no different than normal knickers. The other pads are just like big disposable nappies with the two tapes at the side, I suppose these are better in that you can put them on a bit tighter so your mum probably wouldn't be able to pull them down but she could tear them off as my mum did! They can't be comfortable though as my mum is forever pulling at them.

I was wondering, are you concerned about the cleaning up part of the incontinence, the mess on the sheets and that you would prefer to stay somewhere that was used to dealing with this issue, or that you would be able to deal with it yourself without any staff realizing? Sorry if that sounds awful it's difficult to get across what I mean to say in a message :confused:

I am just going to PM you with a couple of web sites I have come acroos (not sure if I can post them here) and hopefully they may be useful.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You've got it exactly

or that you would be able to deal with it yourself without any staff realizing?

The whole thing would be mortifying enough for Mummy, without that.

Thanks for the links.

Jennifer

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
We had a pressure pad for my sister. When you step on it , it emits a very loud bleep. Found it very useful when she could get up on her own but now she can't get out of bed we don't use it. It came from SS. They have just got me a electric bed raiser which would be useful but she slides down the bed in the night so it is only lifting head and shoulders up.

currywurst

Jan 29, 2006
Hi Jennifer

I'm trying to find a solution for you and came across an incontinence mat that is made from a thin flexible PVC material and has a thin wire running through it. The approximate dimensions are 45cm x 32cm. It runs off a simple everyday 9v battery. You simply lay the 'mat' over the mattress and in the event of a 'bedwetting accident' it will trigger an alarm both audible and visual.

Wondered if that may help as then you would be alerted straight away before your mum gets up. I will PM you the web address.

Also Argos do a waterproof duvet and pillow protector but you would still need a cover on top so there would still be the cleaning up issue.