Staying awake all night!

Jess1982

Nov 9, 2014
Hi
Wonder if anyone knows of any solutions to the following problem my dad has.
He is at a care home and the staff say he is extremely unsettled at night.
I have witnessed some of his behaviour too.
He basically is happy to initially get into bed to sleep, but wakes a very short time later.
After this he is unsettled for the whole night and calls for help regularly and seems to be obsessed with undressing himself and throwing off the duvet.
He goes to get up but when asked why has no clue!
He seems most unhappy during the night.
He cannot have sleeping pills as is on too many other medications.
I bought him a couple of onesies thinking he'd have more trouble removing them but he still manages!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Medication is the only solution that I know of. Can you ask the doctor for a review of his medication as it may be that some are doing little good and and a sleeping pill may be a better answer.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad was like this at home and is the same in his care home now. His days and nights flipped a long time ago. He gets ready and into bed falls asleep for a while then thinks it's time to get up so dresses...usually over his pjs and usually multiple layers sometimes a rather fetching 3 ties properly tied around one leg! He still likes to wear shirt and tie from his working days.His is a need and compulsion which I doubt he will lose until immobile...he is on a low dose of zopiclone but it hasn't made much difference and it is a balance between risk of falls if dose is increased which GP/we agree with. We lost the nightime battle a long time ago....he walks a lot in the night and the staff make him tea and toast.

Jess1982

Nov 9, 2014
Dad was like this at home and is the same in his care home now. His days and nights flipped a long time ago. He gets ready and into bed falls asleep for a while then thinks it's time to get up so dresses...usually over his pjs and usually multiple layers sometimes a rather fetching 3 ties properly tied around one leg! He still likes to wear shirt and tie from his working days.His is a need and compulsion which I doubt he will lose until immobile...he is on a low dose of zopiclone but it hasn't made much difference and it is a balance between risk of falls if dose is increased which GP/we agree with. We lost the nightime battle a long time ago....he walks a lot in the night and the staff make him tea and toast.

Ah bless him. I have a real mental image of all his layers of clothes!
He falls asleep a lot in the chair during the day so then probably isn't tired at night. I wouldn't mind but it distresses him. So confused. Dementia is a horrible illness!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland

I couldn't help a wee laugh at the thought of those ties! This morning John had blue T shirt over the shirt and tie he was wearing to church and I got exasperated as he has such nice sweaters - several new since Christmas. Why do we bother about such trifles? Your Dad probably loves his ties. I don't recall John caring much about T shirts but he does now!

Jess1982

Nov 9, 2014
Medication is the only solution that I know of. Can you ask the doctor for a review of his medication as it may be that some are doing little good and and a sleeping pill may be a better answer.

Thanks for advice.

Problem is apart from 1 medication (an anti depressant) all the others are very necessary.
I could ask about that one though. He was put on it once during a hospital stay. I never found out why. In his younger years he was an upbeat cheerful man.
I will look into him coming off this drug.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Personally I'd ask for him to be left in a reclining arm chair in his room in front of the TV. PJ's and dressing gown on, why couldn't he sit there until even the early hours, then be put to bed.

Sounds like a more restful solution than the current situation

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I couldn't help a wee laugh at the thought of those ties! This morning John had blue T shirt over the shirt and tie he was wearing to church and I got exasperated as he has such nice sweaters - several new since Christmas. Why do we bother about such trifles? Your Dad probably loves his ties. I don't recall John caring much about T shirts but he does now!

It is sad but you have to laugh...unfortunately dad wanders into other people's rooms and the nurses said he had teamed Eileen's blouse and trousers :eek:over his pjs a complete set of his clothes and a tie on top! They didn't laugh at him but had to turn away to chuckle...goodness knows how he gets it all on and each layer is perfectly fastened..
Ends up like michelin man.Dad would be mortified at how he has become. He used to be a director of a large national company....this illness is such a leveller!

Last edited: