Statistics to some... My beloved cousin to me...

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
Aged 67 years and one month,
Married 42 years
3 children aged 41, 39 and 29
4 grandchildren aged 9, 4, 2, 2 and another due…
For 17 years driving 250 miles per day term time
For 26 years, 300 days per year tennis practice
For 12 years, catering by herself 250 cream teas per day for 3 months
… those numbers are by far incomplete and here meaningless…

1 of the first 50 people to be diagnosed - in the United Kingdom - with Posterior Cortical Atrophy (PCA)
13 years Posterior Cortical Atrophy, a rare variant of Alzheimer's.
26.01.2012 - just another date in statistics…

… but the one day that my beloved cousin died, peacefully, at home in her own bed.

My cousin and her amazing family fought the system, following their faith and their beliefs of how
Life can be lived whilst caring 24/7 for an Alzheimer's invalid at home. Surrounded by friends who
were taught about AD, how to help and who cared to share.

Until I came across the wonderful TALKING POINT, the only education I had was "Malcolm & Barbara"
a harrowing but remarkable, controversial documentary about living with Alzheimer's.

To all my wonderful supporters on TP, a warm thank you for all your underpinning and participation.

Please continue to educate "to share to care to care". Please raise awareness and learn to ask for help.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Martina

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Hi Martina

It's lovely to see you - even though it is in such sad circumstances. I've often wondered how things were doing with you.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

Your family looked after your cousin in such an inspiring way. You should all be proud of what you did.

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
Thank you Kassy and Sal for your kind words - it is surprising how much it means, especially from people "in the know" and who are still going through it all. It feels strange being on the other side of the fence - in a matter of hours there is a totally new perspective.
Thank you.
Martina

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Martina, I am sorry to read your very sad news about your cousin. You and your family gave her the best care possible. My sincere condolences.

turbo

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Martina,

So sorry to hear about the death of your cousin. Those statistics are pretty impressive by anyone's standards though aren't they. To those who don't know they might just be numbers, to others they give a glimpse into the core of someone's being. Your cousin fought the disease long and hard and I doubt that she would have lasted so long without the dedication and support of her loving family.

You have all done her proud!

Fiona

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm terribly sorry to read of your loss. Your love for your cousin has always shone through your posts. Wishing you strength. x

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Dear Martina, so sorry to hear of your very sad loss. You have been inspirational in the care of your cousin and have helped so many on this forum. Sending you and your family sincere condolences xx

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
Thank you so very much for your kind posts, Turbo, Sylvia, Joanne, Hollycat, Fiona, Pied, Izzy and Mary(W) - the loyal names in a true support team, always there by one's shoulder for everyone. I appreciate so much the "acknowledgement": it surprises me always how much these "small" nods act as cement to our daily efforts. Tuning into one's senses, learning to feel the kindness, attention and compassion around one. Learning to look and see and feel.

... now I await the appearance of "The Invisibles"... that will be interesting! tbc :)

Thank you my Friends.
Martina

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Oh Martina, I'm so very sorry you have lost your dear cousin. You have been such wonderful support to her and her family. And, I may add, you've given wonderful support to so many people on TP. God bless and hope to talk soon xxx

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Dear Martina,
I am really sorry to hear of your loss. Your cousin sounds like a pretty amazing person to have achieved so much and also what a difference having such a supportive family must have made. Thank you for the support you have given me in the past.
with all good wishes,
Tre

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Martina,
I'm sorry to hear the news of the sad loss of your cousin.

Your family's story and your postings have always been interesting, informative and food for thought - and inspirational in how a very challenging situation was faced and managed so that your cousin could have as good a life as possible despite her difficulties.

Sending you and your family my condolences and best wishes x