Statins and Dementia

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
OH has been on Simvastatin for years and years and I don't believe that it has had any side effects. I think the question for his health is that the benefits for his heart condition and allied problems outweighed the other risks.

I am unable to take statins because they effect my liver and this apparently is quite common. Strangely enough, vitamin B supplements have a similar effect on me and yet they are beneficial for dementia patients.

Hi Lawson58 thanks for the input obviously medications effects people differently , great bike by the way i have Z1000sx Kawaski

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My OH uses diet

If cholesterol levels are still only a fraction above normal, this might help but in most cases it won't have enough of an effect.
Most cholesterol doesn't come from the diet but is manufactured by the liver at night, which is why statins should be taken at bedtime.

I've been on simvastatin for over 10 years and have not noticed any side effects. I know muscle pains are a common side effect but I haven't experienced any although I do take Co-enzyme Q10 which is supposed to counteract these and is anyway reduced within the body as we age.

As for the link with dementia, who knows! My husband was put on statins when his cholesterol levels were low but the GP wanted it even lower as he had diabetes. I wasn't happy but whether it contributed towards his dementia I don't know as he'd already had Peripheral Artery Disease for some years which was a far more likely cause.

I was considered a high risk of a heart attack as my father died at 56 from one. I also have a shortness of breath though whether this is linked to the heart or to asthma is inconclusive.
I have to say that when I've stopped taking the statins for a week or so after reading such threads as these, I have noticed no difference whatsoever.

All medication is a case of assessing the benefits over the risks.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was put of statins because he was diabetic, just as yours was Saffie.

I refused statins for high Cholesterol because of the suspected side effects of joint problems , because I have arthritis. The doctor accepted my decision until the cholesterol level increased from 6.8 to 7. He persuaded me to try statins ,initially for 2 months, saying I could always come off them if I wasn`t happy.

After two months my cholesterol went down from 7 to 4 and I have had no additional joint pain or side effects since I started taking them in April.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
My husband was put of statins because he was diabetic, just as yours was Saffie.

I refused statins for high Cholesterol because of the suspected side effects of joint problems , because I have arthritis. The doctor accepted my decision until the cholesterol level increased from 6.8 to 7. He persuaded me to try statins ,initially for 2 months, saying I could always come off them if I wasn`t happy.

After two months my cholesterol went down from 7 to 4 and I have had no additional joint pain or side effects since I started taking them in April.

Hi Grannie G just goes to show how different people are at responding to the medications basically as I always say about most things it's down to individual to make the choice

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Grannie G just goes to show how different people are at responding to the medications

That's the issue though, I had pasta and garlic bread for tea, anyone with a wheat or gluten allergy can't do that, I then had a dessert that would put a diabetic in a coma for a week it was so big and now I'm sitting here eating peanuts less than one of which would kill someone with a severe allergy.
Our bodies react differently to different things and although most people can eat wheat, gluten and peanuts many can't, there are many allergic reactions, why shouldn't statins be the same?
K

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
That's the issue though, I had pasta and garlic bread for tea, anyone with a wheat or gluten allergy can't do that, I then had a dessert that would put a diabetic in a coma for a week it was so big and now I'm sitting here eating peanuts less than one of which would kill someone with a severe allergy.
Our bodies react differently to different things and although most people can eat wheat, gluten and peanuts many can't, there are many allergic reactions, why shouldn't statins be the same?
K

Yes no problem with that statement I have a granddaughter who is allergic To dairy products , and I,m allergic to penicillin I carry an ID card which says I have Dementia and allergic to penicillin
In my wallet

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Grannie G just goes to show how different people are at responding to the medications basically as I always say about most things it's down to individual to make the choice

That`s just it Tony.

Everyone was crying out for Aricept when my husband was diagnosed. He had a terrible reaction to it but on the other hand it helped so many people.