Statins Again!!

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Well against my better judgement I allowed Tom to be put back on the statins.

A new GP instigated various blood tests (good) wanted him back on aspirin (no go, previous bleeds in his stomach) then as Tom's cholesterol had gone up to 8 wanted him back on the statins.

Last year as a cost cutting exercise all patients were told that the practice now would only prescribe one brand, so Tom changed brands and immediately suffered violent muscle cramps and a big downturn in his AD so with the GP we had known for all of Tom's AD journey we stopped the statins.

So at the beginning of January the statins were restarted at 10mg for the first month, then 20mg which commenced a week ago.

Tom has started walking around swearing and talking to himself (or someone??) as he did before, suffering disturbed sleep and then sleeping for much of the day.

When this happened before his haloperidol dose was increased as well as the cessation of the statins, so for the last week I have stopped the statins! Right or wrong I don't want to see him like this (bearing in mind that early in January when Larivy stayed with him he was fine) Having got his haloperidol dose down I really don't want to have to increase that again.

I did try discussing this with his daughter when the Doctor suggested this all she said was 'OH' Not quite sure if was a Yes 'Oh' or a No 'Oh':confused:

Tom has an appointment with this GP on the 22nd for his prostate cancer injection, think I just need the nerve to say 'sorry, but I will not give him the statins'!!

Don't think I will tell his daughter anything.

Helen x

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Sounds good not to tell his daughter anything about this.

If the statins don't suit him, could you adjust his diet? (I'm sure you've probably already tried that!). I surely wouldn't give anything that made his dementia change.

Stand firm with the GP. They can't force him to ake them!

Jan x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wouldn`t tell Tom`s daughter anything Helen.

Re the statins and high Cholesterol. Does Tom still eat a lot of chocolate?

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Jan and Sylvia

Toms diet maybe is not ideal, good meals but a slightly high ratio of sweet things, I may be wrong but he is 88, I just like to see him enjoy what he is eating!

Most days his diet is fine, but I don't think he would enjoy a restricted diet also on the days when he eats little my aim is maximum calories minimum eating!

Also the very low fat options chicken etc he now cannot chew and I have introduced tins of cooked stews etc, which he can chew and enjoy!

I have to ask for all of your opinions on this, 'does it matter?' If enough of you think it does I will restrict his intake, I value your input more than I do the medics or family.

Helen x

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Hi Helen, my mum is 91 & diabetic. She has cake & chocolate. It may shorten her life. Very little makes her happy , chocolate finger biscuits & an iced bun cheer her a bit , that will do for me.
Just my opinion & as she's my parent & not my partner, maybe it's not the same, but quality is important, get it where you can

Lin x

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I think at the age of 88 one is entitled to say to hell with it and enjoy oneself a bit. If you are really concerned, just give him a little less chocolate at a time. But if it makes him happy, don't cut it out completely.

Now, if the statins give him so many side effects, I would definitely get rid of them. My personal opinion only.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I think at the age of 88 one is entitled to say to hell with it and enjoy oneself a bit. If you are really concerned, just give him a little less chocolate at a time. But if it makes him happy, don't cut it out completely.

Now, if the statins give him so many side effects, I would definitely get rid of them. My personal opinion only.

The one thing he has complete control over is his chocolate intake! The top of the bookcase on the landing contains three boxes of assorted chocolate and has for many years I would not dare or want to remove that choice from him!

If he smoked or drank no one would expect restrictions so I don't think chocolate is all that bad ;)

Well not as bad as the GP thinks my wine intake is:confused:

Helen x

maccare

Dec 31, 2012
Cholesterol

Could someone please get on the internet and read "The Cholesterol Myth". The supplement "no-flush niacin" is more effective than any statin and has no side effects.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
My OH tried 3 lots of different statins - they made him awful - bad mood swings, fuzzy brain etc. he is now refusing to take them he is over 57 and under 59 (don't want to tell you his real age ;) ) and says he feels so much better without them - he says he would rather have quality of life than quantity.

Mention to daughter only if she asks IMO.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Not quite that clear cut optocarol. It goes on to say

After age 50 years the association of mortality with cholesterol values is confounded by people whose cholesterol levels are falling--perhaps due to diseases predisposing to death.

According to medics, very little cholestrol comes from our diet, it is manufactured in the liver so it makes sense to reduce intake of saturated fats which affect the liver but although I take statins myself as my father died at 57 from a heart attack so I am at risk, I see no benefit for someone of Tom's age. Dave also has them which I think is pointless especailly as his cholestrol levels have always been lower than normal but the Drs seem to have a thing about Diabetics having to be even lower. I also would let Dave eat cakes - goodness knows he has little enough pleasure in his life but of course, the home have a duty of care to prevent this. Let Tom find pleasure where he can - but don't tell his daughter anything - she doesn't seem that interested anyway.X

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I agree Helen, that at 88 he is entitled to eat what he wants! When I responded last night, I didn't realise he is 88.

My husband eats chocolate and cakes - he is only 64, but I want to see him enjoy his life while he can.

Let him enjoy life, chocolates, cakes etc.

x

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
Please note this sentence in the last reference "After age 50 years there is no increased overall mortality with either high or low serum cholesterol levels."

... and it goes on to say, "After age 50 years the association of mortality with cholesterol values is confounded by people whose cholesterol levels are falling--perhaps due to diseases predisposing to death".

So it's not so simple.

Still, if I were on statins and had significant adverse side-effects, I'd probably stop taking them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba