State pension when partner goes into care home

Caz-ann

Jun 4, 2013
Essex
Can anyone help me with a query on state pensions and care homes please? My AD mother is going into a care home permanently in a week or so. She'll be self funding for a year. I'm not sure of the official terminology but my Dad apparently receives part of my Mum's state pension (they are 85 and 83 respectively). He is worried that some of his pension will be taken away from him when she goes into care. I will be informing the DWP of course, but I'd like to be forewarned with some information before I do. Can anyone point me in the direction of some advice or information.

Thank you - I'm a first timer, but have been reading posts for a couple of years - and have learned a lot from everyone so thank you for all that support.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm not quite sure what your father is referring to with regard to the state pension, but if your mother is self-funding, nothing will change. It gets more complicated when someone is being funded by the LA.

In fact, if she's truly self-funding (as in no money from the LA at all) you don't even need to notify the DWP. If she is hospitalized for more than 28 days they need to be notified as AA will stop, but not simply for entry to a care home.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Cayman
While your mum is fully self funding your mum will keep all of her state pension and If receiving it A A ( attendance allowance)
This will change when mum is no longer fully self funding.
Mum will be left with around £24 per week of state pension and lose any A A.

Your Dad's pension whether mum is self funding or not , will never be taken to pay for mums care.

A word of advise , Later on when Social service's (SS) is paying towards mums care, they may ask you for top ups, if they do don't agree till you have asked on here