State Pension and Carers Allowance?

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hi al

My husband has Alzheimer's but now receives a state pension. Can I still receive a carer's allowance?

Also when I receive a state pension in the future does my carer's allowance need to stop? What about private pension too?

Reds

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi al

My husband has Alzheimer's but now receives a state pension. Can I still receive a carer's allowance?

Also when I receive a state pension in the future does my carer's allowance need to stop? What about private pension too?

Reds
My understanding is that you cannot claim carers allowance and state pension. I was claiming carers allowance whilst in receipt of a company pension but not state pension

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Assuming he is entitled to a qualifying benefit, yes

State pension and carer's allowance are 'overlapping benefits', you get whichever is greater.
Private pensions are not classed as earnings and don't count.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
He needs to claim Attendance Allowance before you can claim Carers Allowance. AA does not clash with a pension, but CA does, so once you get your State Pension, CA will cease.