Starting the journey

MagG

Mar 31, 2020
My husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and we're just beginning to find our way through all aspects of the disease.
I have an appointment ( by telephone) tomorrow afternoon, for a Carers' Assessment. Does anyone have any help in what questions I should be asking or indeed what they will actually want to know. I have had no experience of coping with all the bureaucracy!

Husband should be starting on Memantine this afternoon, i.e. if the surgery has managed to sort out his prescription after sending it to the wrong pharmacy,, then back to our local one, who then had to order it in because they don't keep it in stock!

I look forward to getting to know you all virtually over the coming months. I have a feeling I may need your expertise in coping with my husband as the illness develops.

Thank you all in advance for any advice you can give me at the moment.

big l

Aug 15, 2015
It's a long and winding road you're setting out on.. I'm just another grateful member of this wonderfully supportive site. Just there when all else seems AGH! If I may, I welcome you?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @MagG and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

When I had my carer’s assessment by phone I was asked to answer a lot of questions which were mostly straightforward yes/no answers. Have a think about what sort of things you have to do as a carer and what would make things easier for you.

My assessment was over two years ago now so I can’t remember what I was asked but the lady at the other end was very nice And I got a cheque for £150 to spend on myself To help me cope with carer stress which I didn’t expect.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi @MagG and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

It’s been a fair few years since my Carers assessment but as I remember it they asked me questions as much as I asked them. They were looking to find out how the dementia was affecting me and what help I might need.

Have a think about things that are concerning you now and tell them, dementia care is really taking it a day at a time. Don’t look to far into the future or it will overwhelm you.

So glad you have found us, we are all here for the same reason so lots of help and support from those who know just how you feel.