?? Starting end of life??

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
My mil 85 ad severe 5 yrs ago, is only awake about 5 hours a day. She is eating and drinking ok, but not as much as she used to. On a smooth diet. She is much quieter during the night and seems to be holding her breath longer. She was first diagnosed with d 11 years ago.
It is difficult to know whether she is approaching terminal ( i know it is terminal condition) or just a phase she is going through. The memantine seems to have run it`s course. She is not in any obvious pain, and i try to keep her as comfortable as possible.
I am just reaching out to seek similar experiences

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My mother is 84 and she can't sit without help. She is almost sleeping and her words are rare and unintelligible.

This topic give a link to some end of life details.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showpost.php?p=1062102

Btw: it is sad to know that if she stays alive she is going to loose the ability of smiling on next stage.

Last edited:

Cherbills

Feb 1, 2016
In same position

My mil 85 ad severe 5 yrs ago, is only awake about 5 hours a day. She is eating and drinking ok, but not as much as she used to. On a smooth diet. She is much quieter during the night and seems to be holding her breath longer. She was first diagnosed with d 11 years ago.
It is difficult to know whether she is approaching terminal ( i know it is terminal condition) or just a phase she is going through. The memantine seems to have run it`s course. She is not in any obvious pain, and i try to keep her as comfortable as possible.
I am just reaching out to seek similar experiences

I have been living with my mom for 2 years and have watched her slowly decline, now she seems to be declining rapidly, the doctor just recently too her off the memory drugs , he said they were no longer working which I agree with he said that things were going to advance quickly in the next six months but that was all he would say. Mom is going through some of the same things , she will not keep her diaper on and I dont know how to fix it, I am trying to keep her comfortable but finding it difficult to do so she is very stubborn still. No one is willing to say she is in late stage
I am trying to decide when the best time to place her, and finding that decision very hard to make. Good Luck with your mom my heart goes out to you.

mollypearce888

Jan 30, 2016
I have been having similar experience with my grandmother who has been diagnosed for 4 years, she is unable to feed herself or walk so it completely bed bound.when I saw her yesterday she didn't open her eyes and wouldn't speak.I know how hard it is what you are going through it is important that diagnosed is made as comfortable as possible in these times.

Sending love to you and your family x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisBoreham