Start of a scary journey

SEA SPRAY

Apr 10, 2021
Hello. My husband has very recently been diagnosed with mild alzeimers My first reaction was relief to finally get a diagnosis, as I have been suspecting for quite a while that his memory is deteriorating But then reality hit hard. The future is a very scary and daunting thought...
For now, I just have one question: the starter pack of Memantine he has been prescribed was ordered today from local pharmacy (increasing over weeks from 5mg up to 20mg). Hopefully, it will arrive on Monday. We have almost completed the dvla form, but one of the questions asks whether the meds cause drowsiness or confusion when driving. Well, we don't know that yet! He hasn't driven since the diagnosis, and presumably shouldn't until he gets permission from dvla. Is that correct? But how long should we hold on to the form before we know of the side effects?
Many thanks for your advice.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP @SEA SPRAY
Personally, I’d wait a week or so to see if there are any side effects. However, I wouldn’t let him drive until you‘ve heard from the DVLA.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

SEA SPRAY

Apr 10, 2021
Welcome to TP @SEA SPRAY
Personally, I’d wait a week or so to see if there are any side effects. However, I wouldn’t let him drive until you‘ve heard from the DVLA.
Welcome to TP @SEA SPRAY
Thank you for your welcome, Cat27. It's been an emotional few weeks coming to terms with this and all the implications.
Everyone on this forum sound so supportive and helpful. I'm sure i will be relying on them in the months/years ahead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968