Standing Hoists

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Does anyone use a standing hoist for their PWD at home? We currently use a hoist with a sling (provided by OT) to move mum from bed to wheelchair/armchair and back to bed again, but dealing with toileting, cleaning, dressing, etc. means numerous rolls from side to side for mum and she clearly finds this uncomfortable and distressing. Just had our first regular carer call (had live in carer but she left today) and this lady said that with a standing hoist (mum can bear weight on her legs, but can't walk following a stroke) we could pull trousers up more easily for example, attach pads more easily, and just general access her bottom half more easily. In theory it all sounds much better than the hoist and sling. They are not hugely expensive so I am happy to buy one if the OT won't provide it. Presumably I could also use this myself when no carers are here (more flexibility for me and mum).

Just wondered if anyone uses them in their home and can give any knowledgeable feedback?

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
To be honest, I would probably still be nervous of using it alone! If mum collapsed in a heap, then I'd have to call an ambulance - more hospital probably - and if she broke a limb I'd feel awful!). I will ask the OT for advice when she next visits/calls. Probably best to see if they can let me borrow one to try. I need to be sensible (hard as it is!).

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
I've been using this one - or something very similar - for someone with MND, (not my Dad who is the one with dementia). The hoist was ordered by an OT.

https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/...gs/oxford-stand-aids/oxford-journey-stand-aid

One care company insists it needs two people, another has risk assessed and is OK with single operation.

I use it on my own to transfer from wheelchair to loo and back again. Quite honestly, the floor surface makes the biggest difference to ease of use - on hard flooring (which it is in the bathroom) it's fine - on carpet, it's harder work. But for toileting, it makes for easy access to the necessary bits!

One caution I'd make though, is your mum's ability to hold the handles as these give extra stability when transferring. The person I use it for, can now no longer hold long enough with one of her hands, and the arm slides off. The transfer is still do-able but needs more care from me when positioning. I suspect we'll be moving to a different hoist soon.

On a separate note - elsewhere you've asked about catheters. The person with MND was getting ever more distressed with the difficulties in getting to the loo in time, as mobility was lost. She herself opted to be catheterised and has been now for about 5 months. It brought her much needed peace of mind - but hasn't been without difficulties. She had a bad run of blockages - but has great support from the district nursing team, who turn up pretty quickly when there are issues. What became apparent was that constipation was having a bad effect on the catheter - it seemed to encourage a biofilm to develop which then blocked the inner bit of the catheter. Keeping on top of the constipation with daily lactulose has led to a marked decrease in catheter issues.

In your mum's case, I can see how a catheter would help both you and her - no sitting in damp pads until a carer arrives to help you change, and the reduction in the need to move her, would result in less pain and distress for mum and reduce your need to do transfers. All you have to do is empty the bag when needed. It's a cinch. At nighttime the carers connect it to a stand, but during the day it's worn against the leg.

My learning curve on mobility issues has been over the last year or so and continues relentlessly on- I really feel for you having to deal with similar issues but in a much shorter time frame. All power to you!