Stairlifts

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
This morning as usual John was over an hour in the shower room. I tried several times to get him to come out but he stands under the hot water until it runs out. I then heard a thump and found him on the bedroom floor unable to get up. My guess is the hot water has weakened him. He was unable for ages to straighten up or get dressed and then coming downstairs with his bad knee was a nightmare.

I phoned a company in Glasgow recommended to me by his OT and should get a visit this week. They advise me that people with dementia should never use these stair lifts on their own.

Can anyone give me advice about what to ask or look out for. Our stair is a straight one with no obstacles such as door or radiator.

Thanks.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
They typically have controls on the chair arm and a remote control.

Ask which control takes preference if requested actions differ or can the control on the chair arm be disabled.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Nitram do you mean if the person in the chair tries to do something different from the carer guiding them?

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Sorry to learn of your problems Marion - hope you get stair lift sorted out and it makes both your lives easier for you.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We had a stair lift put in for my mum. It was a Fife company the OT used. I didn't have it taken out when she died and I'm so glad. I use it a lot for Bill now. There is a control on the chair arm and one at the top and bottom of the stairs. I don't think we can disable the arm one That's the one I use most anyway. Bill never uses it by himself and neither did my mum. I hold the control on the arm and walk up or down the stair with it. We have a quite long staircase with a wide bend at the top. You sit suspended in the air as it moves round the bend! Bill has taken to it well though.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Yes, It's not safe for the person helping to walk alongside the moving chair and struggle with the controls.

A neighbour had this problem and asked for my help, rather than go into the guts and disconnect the control I fixed it with a cardboard sleeve and gaffa tape over the arm.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I don't walk alongside it. I am below it if you see what I mean. The control is really easy. Just a little lever I push forward and hold while it moves. Probably should but I do and that's that!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It all depends on the temperament of the person in the chair, a lot of members will know that an apparently frail person with dementia can have a steel like grip.

~~~~~
Izzy CC has paid you a visit!!!!
~~~~~

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It all depends on the temperament of the person in the chair, a lot of members will know that an apparently frail person with dementia can have a steel like grip.

~~~~~
Izzy CC has paid you a visit!!!!
~~~~~

I'm not with it this morning Nitram. Been awake since around 4am. Eye also still sore. These are this morning's excuses. Bill's GP is going to look at my eye when I take Bill in. Nice man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
i was told by my MIL OT lady that we could not have a stair lift as MIL has vascular dementia .
so we had rails fitted by SS which we replaced with 3 days as they were dangerous splinters uneven on wall and loose

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The temperament of the person in the chair is all important.

Bill is compliant but if he was not and Izzy was behind the chair expecting it to go up but Bill forced it to go down there could be a nasty accident.

Izzy appears to have fixed controls at top and bottom of stairs, there are also remote controls like TV remotes.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We have fixed control holders at top and bottom. They have remotes inside but I've never used them.

That is true that Bill is compliant and I might not operate it as I do if he wasn't. To begin with we were told that a stair lift would not be fitted for my mum because she had vascular dementia. I tried again a while later and we got one. Due to the fact that she had 15p a week (!) pension credit she got a full grant for the chair. I checked that it was OK for us to keep it after she died.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Quick reponse

I took John out for coffee and got a phone call on my mobile from the engineer who said he could call this afternoon on the way back from a job so I will put your questions about controls to him. John is on a downturn but resists the idea that long hot showers are bad for him as "he wants to get his money's worth"!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
"John is on a downturn but resists the idea that long hot showers are bad for him as "he wants to get his money's worth"!"

You may be able to fit a free shower save
https://www.savewatersavemoney.co.uk/products/view/3057/shower-save-regulator.html
to limit the flow.

Start at
https://www.savewatersavemoney.co.uk/free-water-saving-packs
to select the correct water company.

Thank you I have just sent away for that. I do t care about the cost of the hot water but I know this can't be good for him as well as being downright odd.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7