Stair lift

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
I have a neighbour with vascular dementia. Hubby is having trouble getting a stair lift sorted, as his wife is prone to falls, and walks with a frame. Ambulance was called out to check her over the other morning as yet again he managed to save her fall. To my knowledge SS have said its up to 14 months waiting list to get a stair lift. :mad:
I haven't seen this couple before yesterday as even though they live near i know they are a couple who liked their privacy. As i know their Grandson i told him to tell him when he wants a chat to let me know. so i visited.
Even with a doctors note, explaining the urgency,how is the best way to speed this up? Has now i have visited them i am a little to say the least concerned for them both.

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
They have so far got, carers in twice a day for washing and dressing.
Handrails fixed, so must have already been assesed for this.
Hand rail out side so hubby can help her into car.
So why aparently is this so urgent with her falls going on do they have to wait so long?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
To my knowledge SS have said its up to 14 months waiting list to get a stair lift.

Yes Its all down to waiting list, the LA budget, best to keep ringing them up every mouth asking "how far up are we on the list ?"

I was going to get one, but the OT said I would have to supervise my mother on it every time she use it , because of my mother dementia not knowing how to retain new information, so would find stair lift hard to use so could get confused in how to use it would end up hurting herself on it or fall out of it .

Then when mum went into a respite home . The home had a Stair lift , when mum tried it out she was to scared to use it .So I never got her one.

I would advise your friend to get a child safety gate, to stop the wife going up down the stairs on her own while his waiting for the stair lift to arrive . Like that the wife hopefully won't be able to work out how to open the child safety gate . so will have to call out to her husband when she needs to use the stairs so he can supervise her up down the stairs .

Alway stand in fount of the person as they are going up the stairs and behind the person as they go down . while guiding them down or up

because if they trip they take you down with them. I ended up moving mum bed downstairs, as I was worried mum would trip on the stairs taken me down with her , as she wanted me right in fount of her as she went down or behind her she went up .I knew if mum fall on me, we both end up in hospital .

Last edited: