Stages

Bushel

Aug 14, 2022
How can my Mom tell time and not be able to do anything unless I tell her step by step?
example-where to put her hands when transferring from wheelchair to commode or tell her to stand so I can clean her up.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
It depends on which part of the brain has been affected and why no two people are the same despite the same diagnosis.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Bushel welcome. Reading about the 'stages' of dementia can be helpful but they are only a guide and everyone is different. As mentioned above, it does depend on which part of the brain is affected, and the type of dementia can make a difference too so it's quite possible for your Mom to be able to tell the time but not be able to do other things. Hope this is helpful, and keep posting as there is a lot of friendly support and advice available here.

Bushel

Aug 14, 2022
Hello @Bushel welcome. Reading about the 'stages' of dementia can be helpful but they are only a guide and everyone is different. As mentioned above, it does depend on which part of the brain is affected, and the type of dementia can make a difference too so it's quite possible for your Mom to be able to tell the time but not be able to do other things. Hope this is helpful, and keep posting as there is a lot of friendly support and advice available here.
Thank you
she has NO short term memory. 92 years old and wheelchair bound. Also double incontinent. I have a TERRIBLE time keeping her hands out of her own poo. Bless her heart, she has always been a kind and loving person. I just cannot understand what stage she is in. I don’t know what part of the brain telling time is???

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Has she been diagnosed long @Bushel and do you know what type of dementia she has? The various stages can overlap at times, and also last quite a long time, but it does sound as if your Mom's dementia is quite advanced. Trying to keep hands out of poo is quite a common problem and not an easy one to deal with. If the problem is happening when you are changing and cleaning your Mom having someone to assist you with that would help. It sounds like things are getting difficult, do you have any help at home?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet