Stages of Dementia

chakras

Jan 24, 2012
Have posted a few topics as trying to get to grips with things this week.

Mum got out of hospital at start of week.

She has vascular dementia

She has no mobility and can only really shuffle and needs supported. She cannot use hands at all so all assisted feeding.

She also has Heart issues etc.

She is not great today and cant hold her head up properly. says neck and head are sore and I notice since she got out of hospital there are times when she wants to say something but cant find the words. Other times ok.

Has lost quite a lot of weight over the months and sometimes has difficulty swallowing. Today she said she could not cough.

I am resolute about home care, but I am trying to get to grips with where we are in the road of dementia if that makes sense?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello chakras

I would think your mother is in the later stages of her dementia. In life expectancy terms this means little but if the swallowing difficulties increase it will mean a lot.

There are quite a few theories of the stages of dementia but so many stages overlap and so many people are different , I think it`s better to stay with Early, Middle, Late and End of life.

My husband had no mobility for 4 years. He was hoisted in and out of bed and sat in the living room of his care home during the day.
He had very limited language, big word finding difficulties and was able to understand more than he could say.
He also had swallowing difficulties, was unable to feed himself and was fed soft food.

Your mother does seem able to make her needs known even though she has some word finding difficulties. I suppose it depends what time of the day it is.

I hope this is of some help.

chakras

Jan 24, 2012
Many thanks for your reply.

The swallowing is now and then and is more kind of taking food down the wrong way of that makes sense.

I kind of go through phases. Will we get through this year....if we do, I am not sure we will get through next.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Please try not to look so far ahead. I know it`s easier said than done but no one has any idea how the days will pan out never mind the months or years.

It`s such a big responsibility but we can only do as much as we can. Please do not hesitate to ask for help.