Stages of dementia

GraceG

Jul 30, 2020
Hi there. I had some very insightful feedback relating to walking problems with my mother - the main conclusion is that her brain isn't receiving the signals to walk. I am very grateful for the information provided and further to this, what stage of dementia do you think we are at given this problem - basically in ability to walk, feed or drink without full assistance where just a few weeks ago all of these functions were achievable - if you have any thoughts on this point please, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @GraceG

The stages of dementia are quite fluid and every person with dementia can be somewhat different. That said, a site that gives some useful information can be found by clicking the following link and I hope that helps you

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband never seemed to fit neatly into these stages. He seemed to show signs from each of the different descriptions.

This Alzheimers Society factsheet might be of interest -

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I did the University ofTasmania online course Understanding Dementia some time ago. I found these two clips on the stages of dementia very interesting -

GraceG

Jul 30, 2020
- Hello @GraceG

The stages of dementia are quite fluid and every person with dementia can be somewhat different. That said, a site that gives some useful information can be found by clicking the following link and I hope that helps you

Thank you karaokePete, that is very helpful.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I’m confused :confused: when I hear or read Stages of dementia or Dementia Progression

because I haven't read anywhere the number of years it takes to go from Stage 1 to Statge2 the number years from Stage 2 to Stage 3 :rolleyes: and so on to Stage 4,5,6,7:D

because obviously if your going to use Stage everyone must start at Stage 1 :rolleyes:

I wait in anticipation for the answer. :):)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Countryboy - its impossible to say how long it will take to go from one stage to another because everyone progresses at different speeds. Some people progress very quickly and go from stage 1 through to stage 7 in just a few years, other people take a few years to go from just one stage to the next.

Yes, obviously everyone has to start at stage 1, but at that early stage it may well be that no one realises that there is a problem. I didnt realise that my mum had a problem until she reached stage 4 or 5. She then progressed really quickly and in the space of four months had reached the end of stage 6. At this point I feared she would die before the end of the year and she had to move to a care home to keep her safe. She surprised me, though, by then living for a further three years and it took these three years to move through stage 6 to stage 7 and at this point she died.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi @Countryboy - its impossible to say how long it will take to go from one stage to another because everyone progresses at different speeds. Some people progress very quickly and go from stage 1 through to stage 7 in just a few years, other people take a few years to go from just one stage to the next.

Yes, obviously everyone has to start at stage 1, but at that early stage it may well be that no one realises that there is a problem. I didnt realise that my mum had a problem until she reached stage 4/5

Hi canary thanks for reply the reason I'm confused.:confused::confused: is because I was diagnosed with mild Alzheimer’s in July 1999 presumably Stage 1 now 22 years later nothing has change :p so presumably still Stage 1 ;) surly that good for those who just been diagnosed recently i should think

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
hi @Countryboy when my OH was 1st diagnosed I too thought that progression would be simply to follow but soon found out that although there may be a number one with certain symptoms giving diagnosis and then I would notice changes from one level to another . Of course after 7 years as her caregiver I now know better and to be honest dont even think of stages now and I accept her as she is now, or tomorrow or in 6 months time. Looking for stages for me gives no help and little undertanding and can even be a bit depressing to be honest.