Stage of dementia

DILhelp

Jan 31, 2016
London
We live with my MIL who is aged 80 years old in her house. I moved in once I got married for the last 5yrs. Her condition has deteriorated. 5yrs ago she didn't know who I was but she did recognise her son but no longer now.
My health has rapidly deteriorated due to the stress and juggling a full time job. I now work part time since last Sept. Since lockdown I am struggling to do my WFH. I think I need to reassess my job situation and possibly go on a career break to look after my MIL. I am currently being assessed by my gp therapist as I have gone into depression. My MIL condition will only get worse.
She is in her final late stage of alzheimer's dementia. Double incontinence, needs to be spoon fed. Needs help to get her in and out of bed. But if she is sitting down she can get up and walk unaided many times. She cannot form sentences. She has reverted to her native language Greek and turkish as she is from Cyprus. She does not know where she is. She cannot get in or out of a car. She now sleeps alot. My husband is great with her. He works 6 days a week. We had a carer pre lockdown but no more as I am at home now. MIL shouts alot which is very distressing for me but I'm trying to cope. A care home is not an option for my MIL so I have to respect my husband's wishes.
Life goes on...it is very hard.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
It is very hard, @DILhelp.

My mother and I are looking after my father who also needs everything doing (doubly incontinent etc), and we've been without carers since COVID because it worries my mum so much. We passed the 4 month mark last week, without a day off, and we are exhausted.

So I hear you. I sympathise and want to send you encouragement.

DILhelp

Jan 31, 2016
London
It is very hard, @DILhelp.

My mother and I are looking after my father who also needs everything doing (doubly incontinent etc), and we've been without carers since COVID because it worries my mum so much. We passed the 4 month mark last week, without a day off, and we are exhausted.

So I hear you. I sympathise and want to send you encouragement.
Thanku so much xxx god bless us all xxx yes this lockdown really did mess a lot of us in ways we never dreamt off. At the same time it's also highlighted a lot of positive things and what's more important in life xx