S's taking over responsibility for someone's meds

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
I'm putting a question out there that I'm pretty sure someone will know or know where to find it.

I'm my dad's carer and he now needs someone to help with his med s from a supervisory point of view. I can't physically be there every morning and night..We've had many mishaps and an overdose in the past.
I've asked social service to come and discuss the medication..and he states there's strict criteria to taking over someone's medication.

I have researched direct payments etc..but can't find criteria he's talking about. Can I point out its nhs in Wales. ..even a link would be helpful.

In advance of the usual support I get at tp thanks.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My late mother carers would only administer meds after a yellow form was completed and signed by her GP, and only then from a prefilled dossett box .

They didn't come just to administer meds though, they did personal care too

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
Meds

I can only go on what my Mam had to do which was carers coming in morning and evening to do Meds, I think the criteria they mean is they have to be on a special form or chart. In England it's a dommar chart provided by the council which had all the Meds on and they ticked the box morning and evening to say it had been done. Do your local council do it like this? Mam only had to pay a small contribution for it per week due to her low income. I can't help anymore than that sorry. Your social worker should know though as ours set it all up.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I asked for a district nurse to give Mum her morning medication but was told they dont do that. I had to hire a private carer who did breakfast and the meds. We already had the docit box so there was no need for anything else.

This worked for about 6 months before we needed more carers. She would not co-operate and ended up in full time care.

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
Mum has carers who prompt her to take her meds from the box provided made up by the pharmacy - this is 3 times a day though they are in to do personal care too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins