SS Funded / Top-up Fees

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Hi,
As some of you know Dad was moved into a NH almost 4 weeks ago from hospital...as he was bed-blocking and SS said they needed to move asap so he was taken to a NH miles away from us and we have had several issues with where he is.
Today my Sister and I went to look at 2 other NH that are nearer, one that is brand new and is going to assess him later in the week and another that has him on their waiting list. However dad has only been granted the "benchmark bed" figure from SS which I believe is £541 per week and both these homes have said there would be top-up fees.The new ones fees are £650 to £850 :eek:per week depending on his needs.
As SS are funding him, what happens if we can not afford these top-up fees but do want him moved from where he is now?
Thank you.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The first thing you need to check (although it sounds as if you have) is will any of the "new" homes accept a lower fee from a LA funded patient. It's not at all uncommon for the "sticker" price to be different for a self-funded and a LA occupant. However, assuming that you already have checked this and this is truly the fee that would be charged then you have only 2 options. 1) Pay the top up, or 2) try to prove that the "standard" rate that the LA is prepared to pay should not be the standard rate for your father: generally this happens when the person has complex needs and in order to fulfill those complex needs you need a home that is more expensive. Oh there may be a 3rd option - has there been any assessment for registered nursing care? That can add some money to the pot.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi jack29,

My understanding of the situation is similar to Jennifer's. Unless you can demonstrate that the home your father is in presently is not suitable for his needs, you will be unlikely to convince social services to pay for a more expensive home.

His needs can also include regular contact with his family and friends. For example, if a wife (who might be a bit frail herself) who does not drive has to put her husband into care and there is a choice between one home that is 10 minutes walk away and one that is a 50 minute bus ride away, the case could be made for the closer home - even if it was more expensive.

You might want to look at:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/468

and also:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/retirement/article.html?in_article_id=419136&in_page_id=6

As Jennifer has said, there may be scope for SS to negotiate a lower rate with the other homes (especially the new one) which might still require a top-up, albeit a smaller one.

Take care,

Sandy

Short girl

Mar 22, 2008
It is plausable that if distance to the home is an issue and the cost and if you can prove that regular visits benefit your dad and yourself as a carer - it could be worth asking for a Carers Direct Payment to cover fares - it has been done I think for a frail spouse of someone in resi care who lives some distance away - i that case i believe the spouse came in regular and actually provided some care, like feeding.

With nursing homes, particularly those that are also dementia registered and that take SS rate appear to quite few and far between. SS won't spend any extra money unless circumstances are very extenuating

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
:)Thank you for your replies and advice.

Sandy the links you sent me are really useful and a great help.

I am determined that Dad will not stay where he is. Yesterday he ended up in A&E....he dropped a glass in his room which he then stood on...the CH rang me (I asked them to ring if he falls or has an injury which is almost daily)to say they had rung the duty Doctor as they were not sure what to do:eek: as he had glass stuck in his foot!

He is being reviewed again for continuing nursing care and hopefully being assessed by at least one of the other homes we viewed this week.

I will do everything I can to make my Dad comfotable for the final stage of his life.

vampwillow

Apr 1, 2008
Lincolnshire
:)Thank you for your replies and advice.

Sandy the links you sent me are really useful and a great help.

I am determined that Dad will not stay where he is. Yesterday he ended up in A&E....he dropped a glass in his room which he then stood on...the CH rang me (I asked them to ring if he falls or has an injury which is almost daily)to say they had rung the duty Doctor as they were not sure what to do:eek: as he had glass stuck in his foot!

He is being reviewed again for continuing nursing care and hopefully being assessed by at least one of the other homes we viewed this week.

I will do everything I can to make my Dad comfotable for the final stage of his life.

I don't really have any advice to offer with regards to the funding situation.I hope that the assessment goes well and you receive the funding you need.

I am sorry I just had to comment on the situation with the glass.They didn't know what to do :eek: obviously common sense rules that you ring an ambulance an send them to hospital.Truthfully one of my queries regarding this is why are they using glasses that are made of glass?Even at the moment I am working in residential if they aren't sat at the table in the diningroom all glasses are made of plastic rather than glass for such safety reasons and also they are lighter and easier to handle.I really hope you manage to get the funding he deserves and your father receives the care he deserves.