Splitting into two

Tripehound414

Aug 13, 2019
Hello,
My Mum has Vascular Dementia and Alzheimers. I am her daughter.

There has been a new development in her behaviour - she now thinks there are two of me, one evil and one good.

Yesterday I cooked her lunch, and told her that it was ready. She refused to come downstairs for it, even though I tried to persuade her that it was ready, and getting cold. My Dad took it upstairs to her, and sat with her whilst she ate.

I was still the 'evil' one until late afternoon, when suddenly I was 'good' again.

She hallucinates voices, and has conversations with them. Even though the 'good' me is in the same room, she can clearly hear the 'evil' me saying bad things about her in another room.

Occasionally she thinks there are 2 of her husband, again one evil and one good.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this splitting into two, and how you deal with it?

Last edited:

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hello,

There has been a new development in her behaviour - she now thinks there are two of me, one evil and one good.

Yesterday I cooked her lunch, and told her that it was ready. She refused to come downstairs for it, even though I tried to persuade her that it was ready, and getting cold. My Dad took it upstairs to her, and sat with her whilst she ate.

I was still the 'evil' one until late afternoon, when suddenly I was 'good' again.

She hallucinates voices, and has conversations with them. Even though the 'good' me is in the same room, she can clearly hear the 'evil' me saying bad things about her in another room.

Occasionally she thinks there are 2 of my her husband, again one evil and one good.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this splitting into two, and how you deal with it? A
My dad has VD but I have not experienced it myself. I’m sure somebody will pop on with more experience.Welcome to the forum?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, this duplication of people and places is called Capgras syndrome.
Im afraid there is not a lot you can do about it apart from "going with the flow"

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, quite often the duplication is "real" and "imposter", but Ive definitely come across "good" and "bad" before.

Mandy76

Jul 25, 2019
My mother sometimes thought there were two of me. The real me and the "other" Mandy. Neither of us were evil, thankfully. Apart from the times when she thought me and my dad were impostors of the real us and had kidnapped the real us and were now going to kill her.

She also thought that the house was a duplicate and we had somehow moved all the furniture and other items, including the wallpaper, to trick her that it was the same house, but she knew it wasn't. The "real" house was somewhere else. You can get Capgras Syndrome of places and objects as well as people. It's all very odd.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife would ask me when K would be back. If I said that I am K she would agree that I was 'a' K but not 'the' K she was looking for. My mother used to say that there were 2 of my dad, one good the other nasty. My wife has Alzheimer's as did my mother. From what I read it is quite common and just needs to be accepted

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My mother, who had vascular dementia, often thought there were 2 of me. She’d ask me when Isobel was coming home. I would say ‘I’m Isobel’ and her reply was always ‘but you’re not my Isobel’. My husband has Alzheimer’s and he never seemed to think there were 2 of me.

Judes1

May 21, 2020
Hello,

Occasionally she thinks there are 2 of her husband, again one evil and one good.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this splitting into two, and how you deal with it?
My husband has Alzheimers with Lewy body dementia... he frequently sees people who are not there , asks how many chairs when we are only two . It might be an idea to ask your physician if your mother could have Lewy body as well,

Jeanlily

May 24, 2020
Hello,

Yes my husband, thinks I am two people also, and like you one is not a nice person, he describes her as being Manny ( bossy). I sometimes leave the room as the nasty one and come back in after only a few minutes and I am once Again the nice one. He then whispers to me about the other one saying how she says he must wash his hands when he has used the toilet ect and not forget! It is very confusing and I rarely get called by my name, Hope this helps to know you are not alone! Chin up! X

BLONDY

Oct 29, 2011
2000 MILES AWAY
My dad has VD but I have not experienced it myself. I’m sure somebody will pop on with more experience.Welcome to the forum?
My Mum had Vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s she thought her grandson was not the same person he had the same face but it was not him. I was talking to her on the telephone whilst he was there she was so distressed, calmly I told her she was not very well and I promised that it was indeed her grandson and she was not to be afraid. Patience and kindness you can get through to the person lost in this terrible disease. It takes a few times of repeating the same things with the gentlest heartfelt words.

shaktibhakti

Sep 5, 2016
brighton
Intreasting, mum who has recently passed said there were two of me.It turned out she was seeing a younger sister that had passed around 6/7yrs old! There was a spirit sleeping beside her and sitting beside her.mainly for comfort i was told by seperate psychic/channels. She was also seeing her playing on the balcony with the washing line which her gp told me to keep the door locked in case she went over the balcony. Its often difficult to determine wether these things are illusions which this was defiantly not this time or real. sounds like this is the mind playing tricks here re the Evil and the good.