Spitting on everything

Chewy

Feb 4, 2013
Hi to everyone , I seem to just get over one problem and another comes up. My dad who I care for with my mum has started to spit or put saliva on his hands and try's to clean everything with it !!!! Sorry for bringing this up but I am reaching the end of my patience , has anyone ever experienced anything like it before? My dad was such a clean and hygiene conscious person before and now he is totally the opposite. Sometimes he does this it seems when he doesn't get his own way and he wants to get at me as he knows it upsets me and the most frustrating part is when he lies that he's not doing it and says its someone else that's made his shoes wet . Any ideas on how I might be able to get him to stop or do I just wait till this phase finishes ? I sometimes think I am lucky when I see my dad happy and laughing , but these times are getting less and less . Am I just not understanding this terrible illness and affect it has on the people around who care for the person or am I being selfish ? Rant over thank you for reading my post in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Yuk! But in your Dad's defence, people did use spit to clean things many years ago. I'm sure you have tried something like this already, but would a box of wet wipes put by his chair be worth a go, so that if he does feel the need to "clean" something you or your Mum could quickly pass him one? Or even just some hankies so that he does not use his hands?

Hope you find a solution soon if the phase doesn't pass. Good luck.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
One of the reasons why Mil is no longer allowed to 'help' with washing up is down to her not infrequent habit of licking/spitting on her finger and rubbing at stubborn 'spots' on plates or other crocs, if she happens to notice them. The first couple of times I saw her do this, or doing her other trick of blowing her nose/wiping saliva from her mouth on tea towels, I didn't think, I just remonstrated with her and asked her not to do it. She simply doesn't get why she shouldn't, will tell me its 'only a bit of spit' or she 'only needed to wipe her nose' and she really can't get the concept of it being unpleasant and unhygenic. Nothing I've said makes any difference and now I don't say anything - simply watch her like a hawk, use gallons of anti bacterial gel and if she does happen to sneak into the kitchen whilst I'm in the loo or wherever, then I have to resign myself to re-washing any pots and making sure all clothes/towels go straight into the wash :(

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
My mam went through a phase of spitting on the carpet in corners. We have no idea why she did this, and dad would just come across globs of saliva which he'd then have to clear up. I don't think he ever found a way to stop it and I think it just gradually stopped - to be replaced by something else, no doubt.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Years ago when I was small it was commonplace for a mother or aunt to wrap a bit of hankie round their index finger, lick it, and then wipe our faces! It was disgusting and we children hated it, but it seemed acceptable to the grown ups. In his nineties my father would lick his finger and wipe a plate clean.Nobody ever accepted food at his house!

Now it's gross, isn't it? The box of wipes is a good idea.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Give him something to be "cleaned" or polished with spit, if you know where he is cleaning, later you can put antiseptic gel on it.

Maybe shoes or some metal. A cloth and spit. It will keep him busy and kitchen safe.