Spinal/back injuries

Scobie

Oct 22, 2015
Hello everyone. My M I L had early onset Alzheimers, and is now in the very late stages of the disease. In the years before she was diagnosed, she suffered a back injury that required surgery to the spine.
I was wondering if there has been any link made with early onset and back trauma such as surgery on discs, whiplash injuries etc
My son is at university, studying biomedical science, and intends to do his dissertation In this field. I would appreciate any comments shared on the subject

polly1

Dec 8, 2011
Hampshire
Hello Scobie, welcome to Talking Point.
My husband has Posterior Cortical Atrophy, considered to be the visual variant of Alzheimer's. He was diagnosed in 2009 aged 57.
For many years he suffered back problems and sought the use of chiropractors. I have often wondered if the continual manipulation of the spine may have caused the illness. I know it is documented that chiropractic treatments can cause strokes.
In his case, he also blows his nose really really hard and has done so for as long as I have known him ( 39 years). Could the constant hard blowing have been a factor?
Who knows.
Best wishes

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I was wondering if there has been any link made with early onset and back trauma such as surgery on discs, whiplash injuries etc

I sincerely hope not! I started with back problems when I was just 20 and now, at the age of 57, am disabled by neuropathic pain following an extruded intervertebral disc.

Scobie

Oct 22, 2015
I sincerely hope not! I started with back problems when I was just 20 and now, at the age of 57, am disabled by neuropathic pain following an extruded intervertebral disc.

Thanks for sharing, folks. I did not mean to alarm anyone. I am just really amazed at the report this year that they have discovered a new lymphatic system in the brain , connected to the central nervous system. Previously undiscovered vessels.This has to be a positive breakthrough for future research. My thinking was that the system could be disrupted by interference in other parts of the body such as the spine, and still affect the brain.
Please check out this link, if you havent come across it already. Exciting stuff. We have to start making connections. Too many people are suffering in the everyday.
http:/neurosciencenews.com/lymphatic-system-brain-neurobiology-2080/

Scobie

Oct 22, 2015
lymphatic system

Thanks for sharing, folks. I did not mean to alarm anyone. I am just really amazed at the report this year that they have discovered a new lymphatic system in the brain , connected to the central nervous system. Previously undiscovered vessels.This has to be a positive breakthrough for future research. My thinking was that the system could be disrupted by interference in other parts of the body such as the spine, and still affect the brain.
Please check out this link, if you havent come across it already. Exciting stuff. We have to start making connections. Too many people are suffering in the everyday.
http:/neurosciencenews.com/lymphatic-system-brain-neurobiology-2080/

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Don't worry Scobie, I was in the profession for long enough to treat many reports with a degree of scepticism! There's no point in worrying about what might happen in 20 years time, I could get run over by a bus tomorrow :D

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Thats very interesting. My late father who died two years ago yesterday had vascular dementia and badly slipped a disc when he was 20 and suffered all his life with a bad back. Now my Mother who I care for at home who has dementia has had a damaged coccycx for years and has severe arithritis of the spine. I would be interested to hear more. Thinking about it my Grandmother had what they used to call dowagers hump which I believe is caused by osteoporosis as well. x

Scobie

Oct 22, 2015
spinal

Thats very interesting. My late father who died two years ago yesterday had vascular dementia and badly slipped a disc when he was 20 and suffered all his life with a bad back. Now my Mother who I care for at home who has dementia has had a damaged coccycx for years and has severe arithritis of the spine. I would be interested to hear more. Thinking about it my Grandmother had what they used to call dowagers hump which I believe is caused by osteoporosis as well. x

Hello Trying my Best
Thank you ever so much for sharing with me. Much Love to yourself and your mother.
Yes, it is very interesting.
I don,t know if you have googled any articles on the new lymphatic system
discovery, but it seems to me, if the new vessels discovered extend to the brain and the spine,and they say that the lymphatic system is the body,s flushing system,it is worth looking at any physiological changes to the spine. Surely if the changes are affecting the flushing system, there may be some trigger that is affecting the bodies ability to clear the amyloid plaques from the brain.
Let us all hope that advances are made with this new development.
I know I am no expert but I cannot help myself speculating, but really appreciate the info. Thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bottomls