Spends ages in bathroom

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I have noticed this last week dad seems to spend even longer than usual in the bathroom with more frequent visits including a visit during the night when he normally uses commode. I asked him earlier (to cover my observation) if he needed a constipation drink as he had been eating more lately (he hasn't). He said no he was fine.
His mobility is very poor and shuffles slowly on zimmer. Bathroom visits is only exercise he has, so in one way I don't want to discourage it.
Is this a common thing with advancing dementia? He doesn't (touch wood) have any incontinents yet. No UTIs that I can detect.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Look at the positives. Your dad can get to the bathroom on his own - that's a good thing. He's going more often than usual - that may not be a bad thing and it's probably better than going less often than usual.

If the trend continues and is still worrying you it might be reassuring to get a medical opinion.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
I have noticed this last week dad seems to spend even longer than usual in the bathroom with more frequent visits including a visit during the night when he normally uses commode. I asked him earlier (to cover my observation) if he needed a constipation drink as he had been eating more lately (he hasn't). He said no he was fine.
His mobility is very poor and shuffles slowly on zimmer. Bathroom visits is only exercise he has, so in one way I don't want to discourage it.
Is this a common thing with advancing dementia? He doesn't (touch wood) have any incontinents yet. No UTIs that I can detect.

My dad is constantly in the bathroom from 12 midnight to 7am and not necessarily using the loo. Xx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
When OH was in the bathroom for ages, it was because he didn't know where to go/ what to do. He waited until I came and 'rescued' him, telling him/taking him to the appropriate place.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When I saw your thread I thought I had found someone else obsessed with Washing. John has the opposite approach to most people with dementia in that he showers every morning and I have to drag him out. He stands under the hot water constantly soaping and rinsing. It is maddening when you are in a hurry but it would be so much worse if he wouldn't wash at all.

I guess it's just another area where you go with the flow.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
When I saw your thread I thought I had found someone else obsessed with Washing. John has the opposite approach to most people with dementia in that he showers every morning and I have to drag him out. He stands under the hot water constantly soaping and rinsing. It is maddening when you are in a hurry but it would be so much worse if he wouldn't wash at all.

My dad is obsessed with cleaning himself even with water from the toilet he rubs his bum and legs so much with toilet paper that he has rubbed himself sore... I don't know what to do about it.. He will also sit in his chair and have an imaginary wash using his handkerchief... He is driving me to despair with this obsession xx

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North

Pun intended? Lol.

Crag

Jan 3, 2015
So I haven't the only Dad who frequents the bathroom. I'm surprised my Dad has skin left on his face with the number of shaves he has in a day.

Maybe I shouldn't complain as it keeps him out of mischief, but then we are having to have a seperate bathroom built as nobody else can get in there when they need to :rolleyes:

Ozzy71

Nov 23, 2015
My dad lovers a shower! He would have 10 a day - partly because he cant remember if he has one but he just loves standing in the warm water. We are surprised he doesn't wash himself away. He also likes to throughly wash plates and cutlery, sweep floors and wipe down work surfaces - thinking of hiring him out! (Joke) :)

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Thank you all for your replies. It has given me food for thought- I imagined him sitting on the loo but perhaps he is at the basin! :)
Don't think I will ever be able to develop this love of Dad's of washing into washing the kitchen! We can but dream

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Is there a way of checking what your Dad is actually doing in the bathroom? If he needs to visit it frequently and spends a lot time in there then at his age he could have a prostate problem. Maybe worth a visit to the GP to check out?

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi Risa
Thanks - yes he does have a prostate problem and on Tamsolusin, but no cancer. He also has stage 4 kidney disease which also means frequent visits.

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
My husband used to spend ages in the toilet.

When we went on holiday and took him to a disabled toilet that's when I found out he was seeing the toilet and trying to sit down looking at it, then moving and trying to sit down but still looking at the toilet. Since the holiday I have taken him to the toilet as he just can't work out how to get his body onto the toilet. This is now happening when he needs to sit down anywhere outside our home.