Speed of progression

snapie11

Jan 19, 2014
My mother has recently been diagnosed with Frontotemporal Dementia. We first noticed minor behavorial changes 6 months ago sort help. Recent SPECT scans have confirmed the disease. Within the last 3 months she has gone downhill rapidly. She has become aggressive and she is reacting and speaking as a child would. On reading some literature i feel her progressional state is showing some of the signs of someone with latter stage FTD but surely it cannot progress that quickly. Does anyone have any other cases where deteriation seems to be so quickly?

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Hello snapie11 and welcome to TP. I am afraid I cannot offer any advice as my husband has vascular dementia. I'm sure someone will be along to talk to you soon, there is a lot of knowledge and experience among TPers of different types of dementia.

I wondered if you have read the Alzheimer's Society Factsheet on Frontotemporal Dementia? If not it is worth a read. I can't do links but hopefully some one else will do one for you.

I Googled Frontotemporal Dementia then clicked on the Alzheimer's Society link there which takes you to the FTD Factsheet.

Good luck

Loo

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
My mother has recently been diagnosed with Frontotemporal Dementia. We first noticed minor behavorial changes 6 months ago sort help. Recent SPECT scans have confirmed the disease. Within the last 3 months she has gone downhill rapidly. She has become aggressive and she is reacting and speaking as a child would. On reading some literature i feel her progressional state is showing some of the signs of someone with latter stage FTD but surely it cannot progress that quickly. Does anyone have any other cases where deteriation seems to be so quickly?

Hello Snapie 11
Welcome to TP
I am sorry to hear about your Mother.

I am afraid I have no experience with FTD, my mum had Alzheimers (AD) and Vascular Dementia (VaD or VD).

What I found when I looked at the various stages, I found mum in the earlier stages, could not do one or two things mentioned in the later stages, and when she was definitely in late stage mum could still still walk with assistance.

I do not wish to get your hopes up but
As the progression is rapid, it would be a good idea to get mum checked out for an infection, UTI (urinary tract infection) or Chest infections
are common and a dementia sufferer may not display the usual symptoms u would associate with an infection, such as feeling ill or a temperature.
So I would arrange with the sugery for them to give mum a check up, or at least take a urine sample in for them to test, just in case ,

I was shocked by the rapid deteriation in my mum when she had her first UTI, luckily mum did get back to her previous self once she had fully recobvred.

Please let us know how you get on

Last edited:

snapie11

Jan 19, 2014
thank for the replies. I have read the FTD paperwork and it has been very helpful. I will be contacting her doctor to see if she has an infection. Thanks for all your support. I am struggling to come to terms with the fact that 3 months ago we first noticed a minor change to her personality and in only 3 months she has completely changed. SYMPTOMS;
house a complete mess
talking with child like tendancies
making tea with cold water
splashing through puddles like a child
obsessed with my pet dog
repetitive reading and speaking.

i just cant understand how this has gone downhill so quickly for what i believe to be long term progression. HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN SUCH A QUICK CHANGE. She seems to be getting worse on a weekly basis. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

blandford516

May 16, 2012
Hi Snapee11,

All I can say is that every person with dementia progress differently . It all depends on various factors . My mum was diagnosed 17 months ago and she has progressed very quickly . She is now in the late stages . But my mum has several other conditions as well . I do know that a simple infection can dramatically change her behaviour and very often after a few days of anti-biotics she is back to where she was . Get her checked out . Sorry to hear what you are going through but there are loads of people on here who will best advise you soon . Best Wishes x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Snapie 11
Sorry I meant to say this in my previous post/
It may be a good idea to contact Mums consultant, ,memory clinic or CPN.
to inform them about the rapid deterioration.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
because everyone with Fronto-Temporal-Dementia like all dementias can be so different it would help to know the persons age when we read the thread before we replied ,, however I attend group meeting every month made up of eight people who have been diagnosed with dementia three of us in the group have Fronto-Temporal-Dementia one is female and two males to give you some idea of the age its members I’m next to the youngest almost 71 years of age the others are older of the eight members six of us still drive still ourselves to the meetings , I say this to show with Fronto-Temporal-Dementia and other type dementias were all still active.

I was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s at first in 1999 this was changed to Fronto-Temporal-Dementia in 2003 so I had Fronto-Temporal-Dementia for almost 15 years and possibly a bit longer undiagnosed the way I feel I personally feel because along with the pension book comes all the old age related illness some other illness will get me before the Fronto-Temporal-Dementia this may not have helped but I hope does

Tony

Last edited: