speech?

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Hi everyone, wonder if you can help? Mum is in the latter stages of Alzheimer's and i know everyone is different but when someone loses their speech, is it a gradual process or does it go quickly? Mum used to shout at nite but has virtually stopped that now altho she still shouts during the day!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH is in late stages and is losing words. He then doesn't try to finish sentence. This is gradual at the moment. He has Alzheimer's and vascular, so if he has ( yet another) TIA and it affects the speech area of the brain, I suppose he could lose a lot at once.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Is she perhaps tired and sleeping more deeply?

If she is still speaking/shouting in the day, it doesn't sound like a loss of ability.

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
With my husband it was gradual. He had VaD (had major stroke, them lots of TiAs).
Some people thought he could have Lewy or Picks, but we only ever had the VaD confirmed.

He struggled to eat/ swallow, the SALT team and even an Orthodontic Dentist got involved.
Actually, lots of problems eating over a couple of years, before he lost a lot of speech.
Oh.... yes, he used to stop mid sentence too (like Spamar), then lose all interest / track...

I'm not sure about the shouting out in day/ night....it does sound like she is deeper asleep
so isn't waking up distressed or disorientated.....

My husband used to shout out in the day.... panicking looking for me, and I was sat right beside him.
When I answered, he'd sometime jump out of his skin, as he had not seen me sat right next to him.

Dustycat

Jul 14, 2014
North East
My Dad is in the middle stages and in less than 12 months has virtually lost his speech. We are awaiting referral to speech and language to see if they can come up with a miracle. He knows what he wants to say but struggles after 2 words or slurs them. It's like trying to second guess what a child is trying to say. Sad that someone who was used to public speaking can't string two words together. Breaks my heart. Xx

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
My Dad is in the middle stages and in less than 12 months has virtually lost his speech. We are awaiting referral to speech and language to see if they can come up with a miracle. He knows what he wants to say but struggles after 2 words or slurs them. It's like trying to second guess what a child is trying to say. Sad that someone who was used to public speaking can't string two words together. Breaks my heart. Xx
Oh poor you. ((hugs))) x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
My husband is in late stage vascular dementia and initially his loss of speech was gradual; it would come and go. He has several health issues, also TIAs, and when unwell speech would go and then later gradually improve with some occasional loss. Each time a little bit more.

Now although he sometimes talks non-stop, and knows what he is saying, his speech is incoherent. He no longer seems to be aware of this. Occasionally on a better day he will say one word or two words clearly. When he is irritable or shouts he can come out with a very clear short sentence.

It is such a loss. We used to chat away all the time. He sometimes still does, I try to pick up what he is talking about by his intonation, expressions and his eyes.

Loo x

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
My husband is in late stage vascular dementia and initially his loss of speech was gradual; it would come and go. He has several health issues, also TIAs, and when unwell speech would go and then later gradually improve with some occasional loss. Each time a little bit more.

Now although he sometimes talks non-stop, and knows what he is saying, his speech is incoherent. He no longer seems to be aware of this. Occasionally on a better day he will say one word or two words clearly. When he is irritable or shouts he can come out with a very clear short sentence.

It is such a loss. We used to chat away all the time. He sometimes still does, I try to pick up what he is talking about by his intonation, expressions and his eyes.

Loo x

Oh bless you, that must b so hard for you! X