1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

speech seems to have gone

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by tuffydawn, Jan 6, 2019.

1. tuffydawn

tuffydawn Registered User

Mar 30, 2015
    My oh was placed as a emergency placement in care home 6 weeks ago and it is now a permenant placement. since being placed all his agitation has disappeared and he seems calm how ever he rarelyl says more than the occassional word now, he doesn't respond to my chatter at all and he often sleeps all through my visits. It is like he has shut down is this just another stage or because he is now in care

2. PalSal

PalSal Registered User

@tuffydawn
    This must be difficult for you to accept. I hope that it helps to know that he is being well cared for. Hard to accept where this disease takes our loved ones. Take care of yourself...

3. Louise7

Louise7 Registered User

Mar 25, 2016
    Just a thought but as the lack of agitation, increased sleepiness and loss of speech all correspond with your OH moving to the home has he had a change of medication since arriving there? The same happened to my Mum during a hospital stay. The consultant stated that the changes were due to 'dementia' but it subsequently transpired that the medication she was being given was over-sedating her. It might be worth checking with the home as to what medication your husband is on as there have been a number of posts here from people who have discovered that a home has put someone on medication without their knowledge. The changes in your OH may be due to progression of dementia but could also be due to a change in medication so worth asking the question.

4. 70smand

70smand Registered User

Dec 4, 2011
    Female
    Essex
    Oh my @Louise7 once again that was my first thought exactly! We are obviously on the same page.
    @tuffydawn it certainly wouldn’t hurt to ask the home if there have been any medication changes and ask to see the prescription chart although it’s nice for your oh to be so settled and a lot of the residents in Dad’s home sleep a lot. Best wishes x