Speech and language services in south warwickshire

Verity

Nov 24, 2005
Warwickshire
A Speech and Language Therapy service was set up as part of the community mental health team for older people in South Warwickshire about 2 years ago. Speech and Language therapy is still very scarce in many areas of the country but services for people with dementia are beginning to develop. I was very pleased to attend the 'Hearts and Minds' conference in Birmingham on 16th November and was interested in all the initiatives and was reassured that our 'new' service was developing along the right lines!
We are just beginning an 'in reach' service into the local accute hospitals to support people with dementia as we recognise that this is a real area of difficulty for staff and patients. We have also found that 'life story/communication' books are really successful and the process of making a book is very therapeutic and can act as a valuable link with home for people going into day centres and respite.
Has anyone had any positive/negative experiences of speech and language therapy?

joycepaula

Nov 1, 2009
Life story/communication books

Hi Verity,

I am new to the forum. I know your post is years old, but I was wondering if you have any more info, or have had success with life story/communication books in people with early Alzheimer's?

I am a speech therapist just now starting to work with Alzheimer's patients, and would appreciate any interesting ideas you could provide.

Thank you!

Joyce

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Joyce - welcome to Talking Point.

Verity hasn't been on the forum since 2006. However, I do know that some of our members have used the services of speech therapists, so hopefully you can get some feed back from them.