Specal

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Speaking purely as a member of the forum, (and with experience of a variety of other forums), I always wonder about a persons motivations for registering on a forum specifically to make a single posting that relates to a specific "thing" be it a product or a belief or an approach.

I think it's pretty unreasonable to complain that an Alzheimer's Society forum directs people to an Alzheimer's Society statement about a specific approach. You may consider it hysterical and you're entitled to your opinion: I consider it an appropriate caveat.

Kate Sturgess

Jun 3, 2010
Oxfordshire
My motivation was purely because I think that AS goes out of its way to 'squash' SPECAL. I think people should be free to make up their own minds.

As someone who was helped very much by SPECAL and knowing many, many others who were too, I find it distressing.:(

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Kate,

I am also speaking purely as a member of the forum, (and with experience of a variety of other forums also), I always wonder about a person’s motivations for demolishing any independent thought that may not suit their own purpose in life, almost before the thought has been thought. That takes some doing.

So, speaking purely as a member of the forum, I would like to ask you to meet the fact that forum members are not rude, aggressive and dismissive of the opinions and experiences of other forum members.

There are many people who have derived enormous benefit from SPECAL, whether or not they have attended SPECAL courses. I have only read the book, not been on a course. But I do know that the SPECAL book helped me, and helped many people, close to me, near to me and afar. Not everyone who comes to deal with dementia is an expert, just a mere beginner. And most of the experts on TP were mere beginners too, a while ago.

There are more dementia experts posting on TP, of course, than in the 'real world'.

It does not suit the Alzheimer’s Society, but the Alz Soc merely hosts this forum. The forum is open to all opinions, not only those of the Alz Soc. So it may be possible that I’m as confused as you are on this one.

As for registering and posting on a single topic at the beginning of your TP experience – isn’t that what every single forum member did, at some point? Posted on a single topic in their first ever post on the forum. We have no way of knowing what kind of ‘dementia hell’ you’ve been through since your first post, so all I can say is that I hope it wasn’t too hell-like.

Remember, Kate, don’t challenge the Alz Soc position on anything via TP, and please don’t waste your energy by challenging someone who may always be right and hold the high moral ground to self. Nobody can come close to holding an opinion that doesn’t quite fit that particular viewpoint. That goes for many of us, of course, because we all have our own opinions, our own personal experience. So we all get to be spanked!!

I hope your own spanking wasn’t too painful, and that you will return another day. Meanwhile, I hope that your dementia world is .... coping.

Kate Sturgess

Jun 3, 2010
Oxfordshire
JPG1

Thank you for your reply!

Please don't think I feel members in general to be "rude, aggressive and dismissive of the opinions and experiences of other forum members"! Far from it. I have met some great people via various sites.

And thank you for asking, my dementia world is coping and I hope yours is too.:)

Kate

hongkongsandy

Mar 3, 2009
uk
i'm waiting on the book being delivered, bit of respite coming so will have a chance to read it. I was initially quite put off through reading on here, but after giving it some thought i am interested to know more.