1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Stimpfig

Stimpfig Registered User

Oct 15, 2005
    Germany/India
    Hello everyone

If I am not visible, it's because my computer cookie isn't behaving . I now really appreciate that to read what's posted in here, one can do so without logging in - Thanks to Nada and Craig! Can really appreciate the importance of Access.

Well, I still haven't bought the book on Learning to speak Alzheimer's but I believe there are plenty here who have read this book and similar ones. I was wondering if someone could help me interpret the following:

My mother has now been referring to everything in terms of coca-cola and Bournvita (used to be a health drink in India when I was a kid) . For example, she's always been wanting to go home and when asked why, it's because of coca-cola. She isn't hungry because of coca-cola. She's moved the blankets and pillows from one room to another because of coca-cola !

My hubby thinks she could make a great ad for coca-cola !

2. DickG

DickG Registered User

Feb 26, 2006
    Stow-on-the-Wold
    Hi Sue

I have looked in the index of my copy of said book and can find no reference to coca-cola or Bournvita! If I have time I will see if there is a clue to your problem and report back.

Dick

3. daughter

daughter Registered User

Mar 16, 2005
    #3 daughter, Jul 1, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
    Hi Sue,

Perhaps it is just a "fun" word that your Mum likes to say? Or perhaps she remembers that "Things Go Better With Coke" :)

(As in the 1963 advert)

4. Lila13

Lila13 Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    When the meals-on-wheels people came round to do a survey of likes and dislikes, my mother said she didn't like anything with pot-pourri on. It turned out pot-pourri meant gravy. (Unfortunately most of their meals did have gravy on so of course most of them went in the bin.)

5. maria29al

maria29al Registered User

Mar 15, 2006
    Warwickshire
    Didnt the ad say..."Its the Real Thing"?.....!!!!!!

My brother in Law can speak Alzheimers...always interprets for Mum...I will ask him next time I see him!! :)