Sorting out Money Matters - Where to get Help

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Just to back up everything that Norman says, remember the only people who actually care about your grandmother in law are you and your husband and perhaps some other close relations. Everybody else thinks of her as a number. The Doctors and nurses are trained not to be emotionally involved - probably quite rightly...

Well done - remember it is for her - You are doing what you do, to ensure her future and happiness... . Like Norman says we are all here for each other and that means you..

love

Michael

Blue_Gremlin

Mar 15, 2006
Morecambe, UK
Hi guys

Well tomorrow is the 'big' day and although I am still dreading it I am trying to be positive about it. I know she needs the help and I KNOW she is going to fight it but I have to be the stongest I have ever been because it is the right thing to do.

I will let you know how we got on tomorrow evening.

Thanks for all your support :)

Blue_Gremlin

P.S. Is it me or has the message posting box become more sophisticated??

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Blue Gremlin

Dunno - tried to send a PM earlier and it wouldn't work! (Correction: I couldn't work it!)

Already thinking about you today and how you and hubby are feeling about tomoz. I know I can learn a lot from everyone here - especially you at the mo - you are just a few weeks ahead of me having to explain the pyscho-geriatrician's visit to mum.

I know this site is keeping me (nearly) sane at the moment. Can't thank everyone enough. Can't wait to hear how it goes. This is one special group - I feel safe to 'rant' if that's what I need to do. (Thanks, guys!) Hopefully one day I can help someone else who feels the need to!

Thinking of you - and trying to be optimisitic that your up-date won't need to be a rant. Best of luck!

Blue_Gremlin

Mar 15, 2006
Morecambe, UK
Update on the meeting with social services

I think I am in shock. Everything went very well. Jean seemed to understand everything and agreed to having home help and going to a day centre and everything!! I was astounded!

I suppose the real test will be when it all begins though.

Blue_Gremlin

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Blue Gremlin,
And I thought I was a pessimist! You have done well today, give yourself a pat on the back. It will all be OK; you be confident and matter of fact about it all, and Jean will pick up on your vibes. You have done really well this week, beginning to get things sorted and taking control of the situation. That's how we beat the dementia - we make the best out of what it throws at us!!
So relax and enjoy your evening.
Amy

Blue_Gremlin

Mar 15, 2006
Morecambe, UK
Cheers Amy.

I intend watching tv and relaxing tonight. :)

It was wierd, for the past few nights Gav (my husband) has told me I have been talking in my sleep and I know I have been sleeping very little, but as soon as we left Jean's house today I just felt sooooooooo tired - like I could sleep for a week without a problem! I guess that is relief.

Blue_Gremlin

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Blue Gremlin

Congratulations, "the girl done good". Unfortunately it doesn't get easier but the skin gets thicker to all but the one we care for. Hve some peaceful nights.

Hugs

Dick

barker

Jan 22, 2006
What to expect?

We have an appointment at the Memory Clinic in June, but in the interim I have requested a CPN through the GP.

I was out this afternoon when the CPN phoned to make arrangements, together with the psycho-geriatrican, to visit us at home next Tuesday. I telephoned her to confirm that this was ok and thought she came across as a bit 'anti', but maybe it was my imagination, as I must admit to feeling a bit 'touchy' sometimes these days.

Anyway, can anyone let me know what this visit is likely to entail? Why is she to accompanied by the psycho-geriatrician, when there is already an appointment set up at the hospital? If anyone has any information or ideas as to what such a visit might entail, I would be very grateful. :confused:

Trebor

Mar 21, 2006
up North
barker said:
We have an appointment at the Memory Clinic in June, but in the interim I have requested a CPN through the GP.

I was out this afternoon when the CPN phoned to make arrangements, together with the psycho-geriatrican, to visit us at home next Tuesday. I telephoned her to confirm that this was ok and thought she came across as a bit 'anti', but maybe it was my imagination, as I must admit to feeling a bit 'touchy' sometimes these days.

Anyway, can anyone let me know what this visit is likely to entail? Why is she to accompanied by the psycho-geriatrician, when there is already an appointment set up at the hospital? If anyone has any information or ideas as to what such a visit might entail, I would be very grateful. :confused:

It sounds like they've picked up on the fact that you need earlier support than the O/P appt. The fact that the Psychogeriatrician is coming along suggests that unlike in many Memory Clinics or Elderly Psychiatric services the Psych is able to visit people at home to support the community team.
In the service where I work the Psych is generally only likely to visit people at home if an emergency domicillary visit is requested by a GP (with a payment!). But in the service where my mother is a patient the Psych now visits her at home due to her difficulty with attending O/P appts, so maybe you have a good service in your area.
They will ask quite a few background questions, such as when the symptoms first became apparent and the nature of the symptoms e.g. short-term memory loss, loss of skills, changes in personality, hallucinations and how the symptoms have progressed. They may do an MMSE (short memory test). This will give some idea of the severity of the illness and areas in which it affects the person. They should also ask carers how they are managing in their caring role. From this visit they may organise physical screenings both to rule out any underlying physical problems affecting cognition and also in consideration of anti-dementia treatment such as Aricept. If they feel carers are struggling to manage they should also initiate an assessment of social needs.
Hope this is of some help.

barker

Jan 22, 2006
Reply to Trebor

Many thanks for your reply Trebor. We are already in the system, having had many scans, psychological tests, short memory tests etc; and due for 5 more days of testing in London in the near future, that is why I cannot understand the psychogeriatrician's visit next week. I fear that it will be of little use, as my other half excels at the short memory tests every time; he has been described by the neurologist and his team as an 'enigma'.

barker

Jan 22, 2006
Help at last

We had the visit from the Psycho-Geriatrician and CPN today. At last someone who seems to care. After 3 years rolling around in the system, we have someone who seems to understand. We still have to go to London for the 5-days of tests but in the meantime they are changing the medication from Fluoxetine to an anti-depressant that hopefully will lessen the anxiety. They also wish to speak to me on my own; they actually recognise my stress, thank goodness.
They also propose two-days a week at their Day Centre, where apparently ;) there are many activities, which will hopefully give my partner an interest.

All in all a good result, I just hope it works.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Jarnee, this is the thread I meant. See Michael's comment from 18/3/06.
Amy

ben

Mar 5, 2006
Doing the power of Attorney without using a lawyer is easy !

If you can while the person you are acting for is still sane get them to sign copys certifying them to send off to various organisations !

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peanutbrain